This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Asus Recovery dvds

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey guys, been a while since I have needed your knowledge but I have a big issue. My Asus I7 SD Win7 laptop was being used by a family member for the last few months, alas when I was told it was playing up I fear that was to late.

There were 170 Win updates in queue, Malwarebytes was run every other day tho. When I tried to install updates it just crashes. tried cleaning everything out…one thing of notice was the lack of storage left…1.2 gig? weird as I am certain it was near empty of all pictures films etc…

to cut a long story, I decided to run the Recovery DVDs that I loaded when I bought this…all was good till Number 4DVD, then system error. now when I try and turn the laptop on it is in a Dos screen.

I will upload a pic of this once I recover the laptop from the garden…If I can get some ideas on what I should do please? as I say a start will be the screen I have now..which I can upload in the morning.

Cheers for any and all help.

Hi TOMT, sorry to hear of the problems with the ASUS

 

Just for the moment. it is probably better to concentrate on the methods available of fixing your computer and maybe we can leave it to you at a later time to ask your family users exactly what they had been doing with the computer, why the free storage space had been allowed to get so low and perhaps more important why had the 170 updates not been installed…

 

1 If the recovery discs you made have not worked then its worth while cleaning them with a soft cloth (working outwards from the centre of the disc in straight lines and not using a circular motion. Examine carefully the surface of the discs, are they clean. free from fingerprints, scratches, marks etc.? (any marks on them could stop them from working)

 

2 Try the whole process again with your Recovery discs, boot from them and see if you have better luck this time.

 

3 The recovery procedure for many ASUS laptops is to press F9 immediately after pressing the power on button … you may need several attempts at this, closing down fully the laptop between attempts if your timing is not spot on! ( fully close down by holding down the power on button for 25 seconds and then release it….. wait for 1 minute and then try pressing the power on button for 1 second only then immediately pressing F9

 

4 Your ASUS owners manual should give you full details of the procedure (if you can't lay your hands on it then you should be able to download one from the Acer site, however you will need the full details of the exact model number of your ASUS laptop ( my data sheets from ASUS shows no information for model number 17SD)

 

5 You could ask ASUS for a new set of recovery discs, they do usually supply them but there is a small charge

 

6 A fresh install of Win 7 can be made as long as you can put your hands on the Win 7 installation disc, or borrow them or download the .isos and then burn your own installation disc

NOTE you will need to make sure if you do this latter step that the 25 character alphanumeric win 7 product serial key is legible (it is to be found on the Certificate of Authenticity fixed to the computer's case) and the disc you use must be for the correct version of Win7

 

Post back if you need any amplification on any of this

Regards

paws

Hi Paws,

 

Many thanks for the reply. This laptop is nearly 6 yrs old and has never given me any major issues till now apart from a few virus's etc. Being an I7 its always super fast. I had thought the SSD was playing up as someone had initiated a Defrag which had stalled. I was told never to defrag this drive from the supplier? how this was done I cant tell you, as said this was in others hands for a few months.

I tried to apply the many updates which stalled on zero, this had me thinking there is more wrong here, hence the recovery discs. I will attempt the discs again in the am, if the same happens I will take a pic of the screen and post here.this kind of thing I have never done to a PC so please bear with me. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI