This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Trouble updating to Service Pack 3

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello -

After Dakeyras helped rid my computer of malware (please see: http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewto…=11&t=42360 , I have had no luck with installing Service Pack 3, and Dakeyras suggested I post the problem in this forum.

I downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers as Dakeyras suggested because a different way of installing SP3 had failed. As with a previous attempt, I disabled McAfee virus and firewall protection, and ran appwiz.cpl in the run box but did not see Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit or Remote Desktop Connection to remove.
When attempting to install SP3 via the downloaded executable it partly installed and then gave an error message: Service Pack 3 Setup: Access is denied. I clicked on that and it gave a message of Setup Error and that installation did not complete and to select OK to undo changes. After clicking that it said SP3 installation did not complete and that Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly. Along the way, the partially installed SP3 was reversed. After all that, the computer shut down.

This part-installation occurred previously.

Also, after becoming malware-free I have not tried to download and install two other updates that I had no luck installing over the past couple of months:
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954459) and
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648).
Other MS updates over the past couple of months have downloaded and installed.

Another update has presented itself today that I have not tried to download:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

Other than that, my computer seems to be running normally.

Thanks,
Bob
There's a few options.

A windows permissions issue exists after the cleaning. this will fix that.

1. Download and install the Subinacl.exe file from MS-Download center

2. Open Notepad and paste following code:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

3. Save the file with name "SP3.bat". [note where you 'saved' it.]

4. Now double-click the file. It might take some time to complete.

5. After completion, restart your system and now you should be able to install SP3 if it was an error internal to windows registry permissions.


OR there is still a 3rd party program blocking you…..e.g. webroot spysweeper, super Anit-spyware, spybot teatimer…..perhaps others with a 'memory resident' function.

OR the AV protection is damaged, and simply disabling it is not enough. You may have to un-install all your protection, then re-install after.


Tallon41
Hi Tallon41 - Thanks for your quick reply. I followed your instructions up to and including creating the "SP3.bat" file. However, when I right-click on the file, there is no "run as" option. There is open, edit, print, etc. Thanks, Bob
Bob, just double click on it then. As long as your userid (account) is an Administrator level account then it should run okay.
Tallon 41 and Ztruker - Your suggestions enabled me to complete the SP3 and other MS updates successfully. :thumbup: Thank you for time and expertise! Bob
I am very pleased this issue has been resolved for your good self Bob :) A testament I may add to the excellent IT Support Staff here in WTT! :thumbup:
Hi - I answered too soon. Sorry. Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954459) downloaded but did not install when I turned the computer off yesterday. Today it remains in "choose updates to download". I choose this way of installing rather than Automatic Updates so I can choose not to download/install things such as IE 8 Also this morning, I noticed an Update for Windows XP (KB95178) waiting to be downloaded. I don't know if that was there to be downloaded yesterday. I will download these two updates and shut down computer to see if they install. (Thanks for tracking me, Takeyras :thumbup: ) Thank you, Bob
Hello - The latest download/install of updates was accomplished successfully. The only remaining update is IE8 which I have been advised not to install at this time. Thanks again for your time and patience! Bob
The script file has been edited. That was for a Vista OS, though the only differences is the last line. corrected="secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose" Vista uses a different file-name and path than XP does. You can if you want, run it again, though the issue appeared to have been in editing permissions within the registry and that part is the same for both. Tallon41
Hi - I ran Malwarebytes and it came up with two malware items but since various changes have been made to my computer over the past few days including Windows permissions I feel more comfortable checking it out before deleting these: Files Infected: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP768\A0504152.exe (Rogue.Installer) -> No action taken. C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP768\A0504153.exe (Rogue.RegTool) -> No action taken. Malwarebytes is still open and I can easily delete these if I should. Thanks, Bob
Bobgrem, We are all helpers here, but malware removal is specifically the province of Malware Team. Please post this question to your recent HJT Log Thread. If it has been closed or you have any difficulty posting, please send me a PM and I will expedite the situation for you. Doug
Oooops. My bad. You don't have another Thread? Well I'll see about having a Malware Team have a look and give a recommendation here. Hang tight. Doug
Thanks for the quick reply, Doug. My thread before this was answered (and closed) at malwareremoval.com forum. Are you saying that's where I should post, or on a forum of whatthetech? Thanks, Bob
Those are just in the Restore area.

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Click Start Menu > Run > copy and paste

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press OK. Choose Create a Restore Point then click Next. Name it (something you'll remember) and click Create, when the confirmation screen shows the restore point has been created click Close.
Thanks, all. I established a new restore point I'm a combination of mystified, gunshy and increasingly aware of how much I don't know about computers. Thanks, Bob

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI