Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91734 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet not working.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zimara

zimara

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hi i am currenty using a 2 Mbps shared broadband connection. The problem is that sometimes internet connection just stops workin. The dialer is showing status as connected but no pages are beign displayed, After some time however the connection works fine. I have tried using different browsers but the same problem is persists with them I am attaching screenshots of ping of yahoo.com and my server ip. Is there a problem with ISP or is there some virus, spyware problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• ping_yahoo.jpg

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

More information please. Shared? As in networked via a Router/Switch? Brand/Model? Shared? As in MS Internet connection sharing through another connected PC? Describe how you connect.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 zimara

zimara

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:01 AM

Its a shared connection via switch I dont know switch type its with ISP I have a dialer setup and i use login ID provided by ISP to connect

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

Is this the same computer and network that you posted about in this thread:
http://forums.whatth...tes_t99875.html

Internet connection typically involves a few pieces of hardware:

Your cable connection or telephone jack
A Modem
A Router
the computers, printers, game consoles

A few brands of Modem also serve as wired and wireless routers, so some folks don't have separate modem and separate router.

Modem setup can become corrupted.
Generally turning off the power for a few minutes and then back on , will allow a modem to reset itself to proper connection settings.

Router setup can become corrupted.
Again, turning off the power for a few minutes and then back on, will allow the router to re-acquire internet connection

Sometimes it is necessary to walk through the Modem setup as instructed by your ISP and specific to the brand/type of modem you have. (should be a brand/model # and Modem Access Code printed on the bottom of the Modem.
Your ISP will ordinarily provide online help for proper set up of modem connection.

Sometimes it is necessary to walk through the Router setup as instructed by a manual or a CD provided with the Router.

Wires can get disconnected, or may not be firmly seated at their connections
Wireless connections can become corrupted by other radio/wireless telephone devices used close to the router or computer
Walls, insulation and distance can make a difference with wireless connection.

And then you also have your computer's Network Interface device (integrated or NIC card or USB NIC adapter)
NIC cards and devices have have Drivers.
Check your Device Manager for any yellow or red warnings, and reinstall drivers as needed.

Here's a simple graphic illustrating a common home-network.
network_wireless_diagram_1.jpg

"Where the problem resides" is impossible to determine until the entire Network is described, including brand names and model numbers.
Please list the hardware devices you have in your situation.

#5 zimara

zimara

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Sorry for the Duplicate post and Thanks for the excellent information But at that time the probs was virus but now i have checked my PC with ESET NOD 32 and it shows a clean scan. Its Impossible to know the hardware setup cause the ISP is not telling. But is there any way to check if the PC is at fualt

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hi Zimara,

I may have missed the point of your information.

i am currenty using a 2 Mbps shared broadband connection. The problem is that sometimes internet connection just stops workin. The dialer is showing status as connected but no pages are beign displayed, After some time however the connection works fine.

Specifically I may not be understanding what you mean by "shared broadband connection."

By "shared" do you mean that this is a cable modem and you "share" the broadband width with other subscribers to the same cable company?

Usually, when I think of "shared" connection I think of broadband service arriving at your home or building via phone line or cable plugged into a Modem, then connected to a Router, then two or more computers connected via the Router

........................................................Computer #1
phone line......................................./
-----------------Modem Box---Router-/
Cable line ........................................\
..........................................................\
.............................................................Computer #2

Do you have a Modem?
Do you have a Router?
Do you have more than one computer connected to your Broadband Service?