This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Comp Crashes Frequently

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had a topic in here before but it somehow disappeared and wound up only in the HJT section, which I don't think my problem is and even TomK who tried to help me out alluded to.

The computer goes to some Blue Dos screen about a kernel-inpage-error frequently (i.e. several times a day), and before it always said at the bottom that it was because of "apaxi.sys"? Last night I got a new one.

Stop: 0X0000007A (0XE1CE9258, OXC000000E, OXBF8863D7, OXOCA7886O)
win32k.sys error
address BF8863D7
base BF800000
Date 49900328


Also when I try to defragment using the windows utilities, seeing if that would help, it says that windows disk check needs to complete first and that it is scheduled to run upon startup (which it attempts to do every time I try to boot the computer, and honestly I really wish it wouldn't). Problem is with the disk check is that it never finishes, usually freezing then after awhile going to a "Disk Boot Failure" black Dos screen, that I can't exit out of and just have to turn the comp off manually. Yesterday it froze again mid check but said something new as well,

File segment 59476 is unreadable……
File segment 59500 is unreadable


TomK asked me to run some utility "OTList" which I'm trying to do, but again not have the computer crash halfway through the process anymore.
Hi Mcfarljd,

This could be an easy fix…. or it could be one of those where we have to roll up our sleeves and investigate quite a few features before narrowing down to the actual problem.

Let's find out some of the basics first:

#1. Do you have all of your important documents, files and media backed up to external locations such as CD/DVD or External Hard Drive
………Note: I ask this because some of the error messages that you have listed "may" indicate a failing Hard Drive.
………If that is the case (we don't actually know yet) then it will be important to "first" get all of your important information backed up.

#2. You are running Windows XP Home version with Service Pack 2, correct?? (Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600))
…….. Edit: Confirmed you are running XP Home version SP2 from your new post.

#3. What CD media do you own for Windows XP installation?
…….For instance you may have Windows XP CD with the Microsoft holographic image
…….Or you may have a manufacturer-branded XP Restore CD (such as one from Dell or HP or etc.)
…….Or you may not have "any" Windows XP CD, because the machine came pre-installed

#4. This is a Desktop PC correct with a tower separate from keyboard and Monitor, correct? (not a Laptop)
…….I don't see any touch pad drivers so I don't think it's a Laptop.

#5. At some point you had Norton/Symantec Security installed on the machine, and then had AVG version 7. But you don't seem to presently have any AntiVirus installed. Correct?? (Yeah, I know you have some AntiSpyware tools, but I'm asking about AntiVirus)
Edit: Looking at your new post, it appears that you do have Norton Antivirus updated and active. Correct?

#6. What new hardware have you replaced or installed on this machine?
…….For instance - Added RAM?, New Video Card?, additional Hard Drive?, new CD/DVD-RW optical drive?

#7. If you have added any of the above Hardware, did you do the work yourself or have a shop do it for you?

#8. Do you have an External Hard Drive?

#9. How comfortable and familiar are you with opening up the Tower case to investigate and work inside of the case.
…….Do you understand required precautions for unplugging power cords to avoid electric shock. (I'll give you instructions anyway)
…….Do you understand electro-static caution? (I'll give you instructions anyway)
…….Do you have experience working inside of your computer case?

#10. When is the last time you opened up the case to do simple cleaning (such as blowing out the dust/lint with compressed air)

#11. Have you installed Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools (used for manipulating .iso images of games or videos downloaded via torrent)

#12. Other than your Thread in our Malware Removal Forum (helped by TomK) are you receiving instructions from any other source such as another Forum or a friend helping you?

#13. Do you know the Brand-name of your Hard Drive (Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc)

#14. Does your machine have a Floppy Drive? (do you have blank floppy disks or floppy disks that you can format and use)

#15. The actual "Error Report" that you received is most likely Not "apaxi.sys"
………Is it possible that the actual file cited in the Error was "atapi.sys" ?
___________________________

OK. I really do want you to answer each of the above, and it will probably help if you answer in sequence since in some cases you answer can be a simple yes or no.
___________________________

We will be looking at possible faults in your hardware:
RAM Memory
IDE connectors
Video Card
Hard Drive
Motherboard capacitors

We will be looking for faults and corruption in your file system and software
Paging File / virtual Memory
Hard Drive File system
Windows Operating System
MBR Master Boot Record
Device Drivers
Third-party software applications
________________

mcfarljd


Please forgive me if some of the above questions seem overly-elementary or simple.
Depending upon what we need to do to complete the fix, we may not need all of it, but it will be good to have it as an overview.

All of the steps for observation, testing, and adjustments that we may need to accomplish are within the range that most average users can effect with good guidance and instructions.
If you don't understand my instructions, – Ask questions before trying to do any procedure.
If you are not comfortable with any suggested procedure, let me know.
All of the steps will be accomplished with native MS tools or free tools.
The only thing that should cost you any $$ is if you eventually have to replace RAM (possible), HD(possible), or connector cables(not likely).

I look forward to reading your reply.

Best Regards

Edit: I just noticed that you requested your Malware Removal Thread to be re-opened.
Good that you got your OTListIt scan completed. :thumbup:

Also noted: Drive C: | 182.22 Gb Total Space | 13.72 Gb Free Space | 7.53% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

You can go ahead and answer the above questions, but I will not proceed with any instructions until you complete your work in Malware Removal or receive an "all clear" from your Malware Team Expert.
Thanks for the help, this has been an ongoing problem for quite some time, more or less at least a year and a half. 1. Yes I do have the majority of important files backed up, I was afraid the end was near for my machine and purchased a 500 Gig External harddrive no more than a month ago. 2. Indeed, system information lists "Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2". 3. This computer is nearing its 5th or 6th year, and multiple moves either through college/frat/apartments, so sadly I don't have the disk, but it did come installed on the computer if I recall. 4. Yes it is a Compaq Presario desktop. 5. Norton came with the machine and had a limited free subscription before attempting to make me buy it, so for the most part I either now scan with AVG or try to use the Trend Micro House Call on their website. Also every Friday night at 8pm another one runs, whether it be Norton or Macafee, not sure, one of which the university made us download in order to access their servers on campus. Primarily I just use the AVG on my own, it isn't set up to be running 24/7. 6. Most recently the newest additions to the computer would be a new keyboard (which for some reason Windows always prompts me to reinstall every time it loads saying it found a "new human interface device" while its already been installed and operational), and the aforementioned Seagate External Harddrive. 7. Both of those items were plug and play, I've never had any major work done to the computer (i.e. anything needing to open the case). 8. Yes external harddrive is good to go. 9. Little to no experience working on computers, especially on the insides. 10. Again, I have never opened this case, so I'm sure it is in desperate need of some attention, not sure what to give it in regards to cleaning though. 11. Yes I had Daemon on here awhile ago when I needed to create a Virtual Drive to boot an .iso for a program I lost during a move I noted earlier. 12. No other assistance than from the TomK thread, friend or otherwise. 13. No luck on a floppy drive, it has everything else standard "DVD/CD Writer, CD drive, firewire, compact flash, smart media, mmc/sd, ms/ms pro" on the front of the casing, but no floppy. 14. The desktops harddrive? I'm not sure, it says AMD Athlon XP on the tower case, its also a Presario "SR1150NX", other than that I am not sure how to figure that information out. 15. Good call on the error report, you are correct, I was just trying to remember off the top of my head and hadn't had it written down like I had the error report at the top of this page involving win32k. I hope these answers help, let me know if there's any other information you need or anything to be elaborated.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI