This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

XP Windows Error

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am having a problem that no one (even Microsoft) can seem to fix. Periodically my computer suddenly stops, shuts down and has to be rebooted and I get: "Stop error to protect your computer" 0X0000008E (0xC000001D, 0X8056FAF3, 0XB71A5C68, 0x00000000) the third sequence in parenthesis (I undelined it) changes to 0XADBF8C68 and 0XB530AC68. Also, in Diskkeeper it shows numerous "Low Performing System Fils" yet Microsoft tech can't answer that either. Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.
Thank you
Hi MrRam

See if you can find your particular error on Aumha.org

You should only be looking for the first parameter: 0X0000008E
Reason is, that the other 4 parameters are specific for your PC build / konfiguration.

Heres the related Msdn article handling 0X0000008E Also found on the Aumha.org site as a link.

Maybe you could provide some additional info about what kind of PC you have? That way I and others stands a bit better chance of helping. As advices regarding a labtop can be significantly different compared to a desktop, make and model, hardware etc.

But for now, I would advice you to try the advices given in the Msdn article and those giving for troubleshooting on Aumha.

Regards Abydos
My computer is a desk top, with 3.584 gigs of Ram Physical memory, the mother board is MSI PT880 Neo pentium 4, 2410 Mhz, XP Professional service pak Hope this helps

My computer is a desk top, with 3.584 gigs of Ram Physical memory, the mother board is MSI PT880 Neo pentium 4, 2410 Mhz, XP Professional service pak

Hope this helps


Hi again MrRam

Its always nice info to have at hand. If needed I'll ask for more info.

Now, have you looked at the suggestions given by the MSdn article and from Aumha.org?

I know that some of the advices given are upgrading your BIOS. If it comes to that, I must say I haven't got alot of experience
with that task. For that you / we should wait for one more competent in that, if need arises.

Regarding those "Low performing system files". That indicates highly fragmented files. By highly I would say that the file(s)in question are fragmented by a factor of 400>+. Imagine you have a piece of paper representing your file(s), and tore it up in confetti. Thats what a fragmentation is, and the task of putting them all together into something useful is a slow and resource demanding task for your system and hardware. In worst cases it will shorten the "life-span" of your hardware, especially your HD.

I understand that you use Diskkeeper as a disk-defrag tool. Thats ok by all means, but….Diskkeeper defrags on the "run", meaning it works in the background. Thats not adviceable. Any file currently in use, will not be defragmented. So look for an option within Diskkeeper to disable that function. After you disabled that function, you should make a good clean-up of your drives.

But before going ahead with that, I would like to know how and with what have you maintained your PC with so far?

Regards Abydos
I defrag each day, Advanced Windows care, spyware protection, malware protection etc. My computer had the power however it has really slowed down and I am at a loss as to what to do to fix this.
Hi MrRam

By "defrag each day", is that a full defrag or the diskkeeper program running in the background? I wouldn't recommend doing it each day, thats excessive IMHO. Once a week or every 14th day would suffice, depending on the amount that you install / uninstall etc. More means more often.

By maintenance, I also mean cleaning the interior of your cabinet. Vacuum-cleaner with soft brushes and canned Air are very useful tools, plus the "must have" Q-tip. Any dust-buildups can contribute to slow performance by increasing heat in the cabinet.
Cleaning the RAM-blocks can be done very carefully with a clean rubber-eraser or pencil-eraser at the connections at the bottom of the block. This should be done very gently, keyword being gently!

Remember! Whenever you open up the cabinet, be sure to get rid of static electricity by touching metal before messing with the interior.

To get an overview of the status of your system, could you please try run the PcPitstoptest.

PcPitstop-test

Make an account and say yes to any activeX etc. (No harmful things on this site) But no need to click on the advertisement…..

After the test, theres a small box in the top right corner containing summary links. One is named TechExpresslink, thats the address
you should link in your next post.

Then we can take it from there :thumbup:

Regards Abydos
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=E6ESTWS9PDGSWTGG

Here is the link, I go there quite often so I do know about it. The answer to your other questions are all yes, I keep a very clean computer, so it's more probably in the XP Professional program or windows in general where my problem lis, I just can't figure it out and it is getting very frustrating. I have tried to do a mini dump, but can't seem to get it right. I have all of the programs to do the dump, but it isn't working.
Hi MrRam Good and bad news…Aint it always like that :blush: You have some issues, but none that we can't correct at the moment. First off: 1: You have "paging of kernel disabled". I figure that is a tweak. Problem is, this kind of tweak shouldn't be used along with enabled Hibernation function. Also, "paging of kernel disabled" are used to speed up response time for programs using the Kernel32DLL, by keeping the info stored on your RAM instead of moving it to your pagefile .Hardly something you need with that much RAM. A safer way, would be to set your pagefile optimal! You have a program named Tweakmaster, is that the program you used to enable that tweak? If so, look if you can reverse it or disable Hibernation function on your PC. 2: I notice that you have alot of security programs. Not a bad thing in itself. As long as you follow some very simple rules: -Never have two Anti-virus programs running at the same time. -Never have two programs running real-time protection. (Including SpyBot S&D te-timer function) -Never have two firewalls running alongside each other. Please check that you haven't Windows own firewall running along with the one from Trendmicro. 3: You internet configuration doesn't match your connection. The number 64240 for TcpWindowsize are a number thats better than the default in Windows, but its only suitable for a 1Mbit line max!! You have a 6-8Mbit /512 as far as I can tell. Please verify this, and I will give you the correct path and number to go with your line, to correct this. 4: Is your line meant to access the internet through proxy? You have it enabled. No wrong there, just to clarify thats the situation. While you ponder alittle over this, I'll dig alittle further into your Test. Regards Abydos
Answers to questions: 1) I know nothing of the Kernel disabled, how do I fix this? 2) I thought I only had Trend running, I took off Norton months ago, couldn't answer on the second one and I probably have windows firewall running with Trend, I turned off Windows firewall. 3) No idea what this is 4) I get on line through Road Runner, and have MSN for Internet I have also noticed when I run defrag in Diskeeper, it shows alot for slow runnig system files and in Windows Add & Remove, when I load it, there is a huge gap from the last entry after E with an area of solid Black with long white verticle lines then way at the bottom G entries show up. Someone told me this was a problem in my registry but I have no idea how to fix this at all!! So, there you go, I hope this helps, my computer seems to have really gotten slower and I don't know what to do about it. Thanks for your help!! really appreciate it!
Hi Again MrRam

well, lets start with that kernel paging. To disable it, you need to run the regedit tool.

To do so:

Goto Start –> Run –>Type: Regedit.exe

First off, we need to backup your registry, should anything go wrong.

Select file in the drop menu, select export, select all in the export range section, save it a place you can easily find again. Name it something like Registry-Backup-03-30-2008 as an example.


You need to follow this path in the regedit tool:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001


Here you should change the number "1" at the end of dword to "0" (zero)

While we are in regedit, we should also set the right TcpWindowsize. (You didn't provide a verification of your line, so i'll provide different settings, in the 4Mbit to 10Mbit range…If none of those numbers corresponds with your actual line, please notify)

Follow this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Now we have to make a new dword value for your TcpWindowsize.

Select edit in the drop menu
Choose "new"
Choose dword value
Rename the new registry key: TcpWindowsize
Double-click on the new key
Change base settings to decimal

Enter a value that suits your line:

4-6Mbit: 256960
8-10Mbit: 513920

click ok, and exit regedit.

Reboot your PC, and tell how it behaves.

I also would like to know if you had a look upon the links I provided earlier in this topic? And have you tried any of the trouble-shooting suggestions?

Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI