This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Blue Screen/ Automatic Shutdown

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Windows Vista Computer has been getting a Blue Screen and then an automatic shutdown.
The problem details here:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C000001D
BCP2: 90D84768
BCP3: 82342A9C
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042809-01.dmp
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-78218-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREE44.tmp.version.txt

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance
Greetings. Is this a new problem? Have you installed any new hardware or software or drivers? Are you doing anything in particular when it happens? Is the error always the same?
Also just to add you can try this small program and post back your results:

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Crash Analysis Tools

WhoCrashed 1.01
It hasn't happened before, but only recently did it happened every so often. I haven't installed any drivers, hardware, or software and the problem seems to come up randomly. Ex. When using Microsoft Word, going on youtube, playing games etc. Thanks for your reply. Be right back with the Crash Analysis results.
Here is the Crash Analysis results: Analysis ——————————————————————————– Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. On Wed 29/04/2009 3:28:33 PM your computer crashed This was likely caused by the following module: symimv.sys Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x1, 0x2, 0x1, 0x8B086F44) Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\symimv.sys product: Symantec Security Drivers company: Symantec Corporation description: NDIS 6.0 Filter Driver for Windows Vista When I was downloading the debugger required, the error came up but this time the screen was white and with many lines.
What version of Symantec/Norton software are you using? Do you recall if this crashing perhaps coincided with any Symantec/Norton update? Or perhaps a Windows Update?
I'm using Norton Internet Security 2008. I don't recall the crashing coinciding with Symantec/Norton update but it might have for Windows update.
If my memory is correct, I don't think that the problem coincided with the Windows prior to the date but I might have delayed the update to the next day. The crash happened again so decided to check Crash Anaylsis again and it came up with different results. On Thu 30/04/2009 7:42:33 AM your computer crashed This was likely caused by the following module: ntfs.sys Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904AA, 0xA85BA98C, 0xA85BA688, 0x8228D143) Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys product: MicrosoftR WindowsR Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT File System Driver The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.
Is there any other way instead of reinstalling Norton and doing system restore?? I'm not that familiar with System Restore and my Norton only have 68 subscription days left then I can get rid of it. If there isn't any other way then I'll try the System Restore. Thanks.
You could remove Norton now and then start using Avast for free:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Personally I would not use Norton. Your dump logs appear to be related to a Norton driver.

It is possible a Windows Update corrupted the Norton driver which a System Restore might resolve however you would loose the Windows Update.

I'd suggest letting Norton go and use Avast.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI