This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Word 03 opening template changed

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Any help would be greatly appreciated……. About 2 weeks ago I noticed Word opening with the Document 1 cursor in unusual position (No top margin). Despite the absence of margin, File/page Setup.. shows a top margin of 2.5cm which is what I would previously have expected. I have tried changing the top margin from 2.5cm and then back again and correcting the page size from Letter to A4 and changing the print tray choice, then hitting Default…, but the problem persists and the onscreen top margin remains unchanged, athough the page size and print tray changes have been correctly retained. I've tried deleting all Normal.dot in all folders following a search in Windows Explorer. I undertstand this should create a new Normal.dot at original factory settings the next time Word is opened, but it does not, and minimal top margin reappears on every opening of Word creating Document 1. I have also tried creating a blank document of my choice (with 2.5 cm top margin) and calling it Normal.dot and setting the Tools/Customize/File Locations/User templates to the folder containg this new (and only) version of Normal.dot . I can open the .dot file from Word and it opens correctly. However, when opening Word I still get a template/Document 1 opening with no top margin and a faint ~Normal.dot title appears in the folder [WinExplorer F5] while Word remains open. It is as though on opening Word it points at a different template from the one specified in the Tools/Customize/File Locations/User templates dialogue box and is using a file named other than Normal.dot. Has my Word software been infected or am I missing something? I am worried in case this rogue template includes other bad things that could get passed on if I send out documents based on this temaplate. Is there any way to re-specify the path and name of the target template to be used on opening Word? I think I used to do this in Excel. Look forward to your suggestions.
Hi, purslove,

I'll try to help you to resolve this issue.

So, if I well understand, the symptom is basically that you don't see the top margin in your document, isn't it ?

Let's try this :
  • * Open a new document in Word.
  • * Place your mouse on the place where you have your cursor
  • * Slowly move your mouse upside, towards rulers/menu.
  • * Just a bit after your mouse reach limit of page, mouse cursor will change its form from arrow to two littles square one above the other, with some arrows in it.
  • * When cursor is changed, simply click, without moving cursor anymore

If i well understood your symptoms, this is a functionality given by Word to reduce the spaces between the pages when working on a document in page view.
You may have accidentaly clicked there. As this is saved in your application settings (and not in the document settings), this behaviour is repeated even when you deleted your normal.dot file.

In the case I misunderstood your symptoms, please come back here :-)

Best regards,
Thanks Kalasch! You got it exactly right and explained it as well. It seems so simple when you know these things. I noticed after I had posted that opening the headers and footers view and then closing the H&F view also seemed to fix the problem but only temporarily. Now I have a permanent fix and can reduce my virus paranoia to amber! Once again, many thanks. :thumbup:
Thanks Doug. As stated in your signature : Post when you want, help when you can.

This is something I do agree with !

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI