This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-830S

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Toshiba M45 Laptop XP Pro SP3

TOSHIBA Satellite M45 PSM40U-01X001
System Serial Number: Z4105151Q Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-830S

No warnings in Device Manager

Fails to access disk and displays this ERROR

ERROR - D:\ is not accessible
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error


Searched Matsushit/Matshita/Panasonic and Toshiba

Optical drive simply refuses to read any/all CD/DVD

Control Panel correctly identifies Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-830S
Reports that the device is working correctly.

I have removed upper and lower filters and run cd/gone .reg fix

Nowhere, and I mean nowhere, have I been able to find a driver specifically for this unit.
Same for firmware update.

The machine was recently "restored" to factory settings via Toshiba Restore CD (clean format and restore)
Worked just fine for a week or so.

Now, since the owner has installed a few video softwares (Quicken, Real, K-lite mega Codec with Quicken lite and Real lite)
and the Microsoft Office Tool add-on, and SolidWork (a CAD 3D modeling program) and a variety of other stuff that owners install….

Now the optical unit will not recognize Media

Everywhere I try to read about this unit describes it as an unsupported piece of junk.
Many places state that the drive is highly sensitive to various software installations

However, I suspect that its "form-factor" is specific to this Toshiba M45 and I will go nuts trying to get a different optical drive that fits.

Any suggestions are more than welcome
Yep And did same with IDE Controllers Even tried moving settings to PIO and then back to DMA No Joy I'll bet it will work fine again if I do a clean Reinstall That is….. IF… the darn drive will even recognize the Toshiba Restore CD But he's spent this week or so reloading tons of data and many application programs. I sure wish I could have found an easy fix. :( P.S. To make matters worse, I have a second laptop problem featuring a similar optical unit failure. I'll post it in a second thread. While this problem may seem to be about a customer machine, it is not. This is a guy who is academically challenged but who has an exquisite mind for imagery and invention. He holds a few patents, but lives in the worst trailer trash lot in town. I feel very compassionate about helping him if possible. I'll even do another reinstall and then limit the application software by not allowing him to install much on his own. But right now, of course, it is simply a tremendous annoyance!!!!!!
OK…. So how'd you do that. And how did you get there from here? :)

On the discouraging side, that page refers to the following Toshiba Satelite models:

Applicable Models:
Qosmio F25-AV205
Satellite A85-S1072, A85-S107, A85-S1071, M40-S417TD, M45-S331, M45-S3311, M45-S265, M45-S3551, M45-S355, M45-S351, M45-S3511, M45-S2653, M45-S3553, M45-S3552, M45-S2652, M45-S2651, M50-S418TD, M50-S4182TD, M55-S135, M55-S1351, M55-S325, M55-S2253, M55-S1352, M55-S3262, M55-S2252, M55-S3251, M60-S8112TD, M60-S8112ST, M60-S811ST, M60-S811TD, M65-S9062, M65-S9065, M65-S9064, M65-S9063
Tecra A5-S416, A5-S116, A5-S516, A5-S237, A5-S6215TD

Are you meaning that M45-S351 is the same as M45 PSM40U-01X001 ?
Hmmm.

Detailed specs say that it is the same:

Satellite M45-S351 Intel ® Pentium® M processor 740, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 100GB HDD, 15.4” WXGA,
DVD SuperMulti, 802.11b/g, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2), TOSHIBA® Express
Media Player, i.LINK® 1394/Bridge Media adapter
PSM40U-01X001 032017297104

I would still be beating myself up, looking or not looking either way, I was really frustrated with this one.

Now I've got to go read that page.

Still don't know how/where you found it.

but thanks
Praise be to Google Jephree !! once again!

I'm looking at a Belarc Advisor report of this TOSHIBA Satellite M45 PSM40U-01X001

Looks like the same unit as described in the site you found for me.
No joy.

And the
Toshiba (TSST) TS-L632* DVD Drive Firmware Update (vTO02; 04-15-2008; 1M)
Does not install….. says something to the effect of not being the correct hardware.

Bummer.
Hi Doug,

I find the following note within this Support Bulletin

Problem burning audio CDs with iTunes, using DVD Super Multi drive

Special Notes

1. If the DVD Drive in the computer is not a TS-L632*, or if the TS-L632* firmware version is already "TO02" or later, the firmware update will not be performed.


There is also another Bulletin from the same link entitled:

How to set up the Toshiba Multimedia Center which has some options for the DVD/CD player.

Detailed Specs

• Optical Disk Drive
o Fixed Bay DVD SuperMulti drive

I would assume that this is a standard "slim-line" drive if replacement is required.

I also find this via Google:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=13054

Might be worth a try.

The initial idea was booting the Toshiba CD to reinstall windows but apparently just the startup without the reinstall solved this one issue:

Well, don't know exactly what I did but hitting F12 with the DVD in the drive seemed to wake the drive up. I didn't get anything the first time but the second time it booted straight to Windows and the Removable Storage drive icon appeared in My Computer; i.e. I'm back in business. I guess the F12, as you described, pulled something from the BIOS.

Thanks Abydos, Yes, I have been searching around with automated Driver search utilities. so far no joy. However, I had been searching for a second different Laptop with a similar problem and right now I can't say for sure which resources I've already ruled out. Doing two searches for similar problems so similar in problem profile is making my eyes buggy. That's why I haven't yet posted the second problem Laptop…. I want to resolve this one first if possible. I'll probably have to start my searches over. :( Jephree, That's interesting about simply booting with the Toshiba Restore CD. My problem is a little different. Windows Explorer "does" show Drive D:\ DVD/CD-RW But attempting to click on it, or Right-click Open, or Right-click Explore yield the Error stated above. In Device Manager DVD CD/RW – Properties - General reports that the Device is functioning properly. However using the Volume (tab) then clicking "populate" finds that the utility reports "no media present" I've tried a few different CDs and one DVD… No Joy with any of them.
Doug,

It is interesting how many Google returns are in relation to Toshiba and the Matshitsu drive.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

As I understand it although in your case Windows "sees" the drive an I/O error indicates a lack of communication with this drive.

One suggestion I see more than once is physically remove the drive, boot once without it, then shut down and reinstall it.

Anyway just throwing out ideas. Sorry I cannot be more specific.


…
Thanks Jephree, I've been working on his machine "remotely". Finally today, I told him he'd have to bring it over for any further attention. Yes, I intend to remove-boot-reinstall-boot. Good suggestion. I sure hope it works.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI