This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Something is wrong with my explorer.exe

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, all.. I had this error message after I enter my password to start my computer this morning. Explorer.exe Application error. The exception illegal instruction An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction(oxc000001d)occured in the application at location 0x7c80e93f click on ok to terminate the program click on cancel to debug the program then, no mater which button I clicked,, I could log into my computer, but there were nothing on my desktop nor is the Start manu there. I can start any programs via task manager(by doing ctrl+alt+delete) except explorer, which I don't know what is for. besides, I can not use my internet although I can open my firefox. Please help me and thank you in advance!!!!!!!!

Hi, all..

I had this error message after I enter my password to start my computer this morning.

Explorer.exe Application error.

The exception illegal instruction
An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction(oxc000001d)occured in the application at location 0x7c80e93f

click on ok to terminate the program
click on cancel to debug the program

then, no mater which button I clicked,, I could log into my computer, but there were nothing on my desktop nor is the Start manu there. I can start any programs via task manager(by doing ctrl+alt+delete) except explorer, which I don't know what is for. besides, I can not use my internet although I can open my firefox.


Please help me and thank you in advance!!!!!!!!


Explorer.exe is the taskbar and start menu, etc, which is why after getting that error you don't see all that stuff.
You may try repairing your OS, assuming you have the disc. You can boot to your XP disc, then after it detects your installation, select to repair it.

However! This is probably one of the last things you should try. I'd suggest waiting a bit in case someone else here has a better fix to try first (which I'm sure they do)
I also can't remember the order that the XP discs go through for a repair (the options and stuff) so I'll try running one once I find my XP disc and see if I can make more detailed instructions.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI