Hardware
Graphics Card
3 min read
bizarrebob
Topic Starter
Hi all,
I will be playing Crysis (the game) on my PC and whilst my graphics card could probably manage it on low/medium on DX9, i'd like to run it on high or ultra high on DX10.
I have a 500w PSU, so i think i'd be ok for a decent graphics card. I'm looking to spend no more than £100 ($146)
So if you can recommend me a good graphics card for that budget it'd be a big help. I notice 1gb, 1.5gb graphis cards are out but apparently some 512mb graphics cards are still more powerful? I'm not too well up on the graphics side of things, so if someone can explain this it'd be a big help
thanks,
'Bob
itsme
Well, looking at price right now, you're probably going to be best off getting an ATI card. I beliece Radeon HD 4850 is what you're probably going to want to look for. 4870 and 4890 should be good, too, but they're probably a bit higher price range.
These 2 look good for the money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814102770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814102802
Not sure how much they'd cost you though, since I think newegg is only for US and Canada, but maybe try looking for them around where you live and compare prices.
These 2 look good for the money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814102770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814102802
Not sure how much they'd cost you though, since I think newegg is only for US and Canada, but maybe try looking for them around where you live and compare prices.
bizarrebob
thanks for the reply. Nice card but unfortunately, in the UK that card goes over £100 by a bit, so it's off limits to me. I'll keep an eye on it for the time being in case it does come down slightly.
Anyone else know of any good cards for my budget?
cheers
'Bob
jephree
Here is a list from PC World UK:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw…ll&tm=null#
I am very partial to NVIDIA cards so that is the filter I applied. This list is in price range from lowest to highest.
PNY GeForce 9600GT XLR8 OC 512MB PCI-E 2.0 looks good at first glance. £89.99
If you can go slightly over £100 here are two 9800's. Both BFG and XFX being quality manufacturers.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw…;direction=DOWN
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw…ll&tm=null#
I am very partial to NVIDIA cards so that is the filter I applied. This list is in price range from lowest to highest.
PNY GeForce 9600GT XLR8 OC 512MB PCI-E 2.0 looks good at first glance. £89.99
If you can go slightly over £100 here are two 9800's. Both BFG and XFX being quality manufacturers.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw…;direction=DOWN
jephree
itsme
Here is a list from PC World UK:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw…ll&tm=null#
I am very partial to NVIDIA cards so that is the filter I applied. This list is in price range from lowest to highest.
PNY GeForce 9600GT XLR8 OC 512MB PCI-E 2.0 looks good at first glance. £89.99
If you can go slightly over £100 here are two 9800's. Both BFG and XFX being quality manufacturers.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw…;direction=DOWN
I have a BFG 9800 GTX, it's really nice. I would suggest NVIDIA, too, I just know that ATI is cheaper right now, so I'd still suggest looking at how they compare.
I read some of that article (the second post) and it looks like that should be really good information for helping to decide what kind of card to get.
EDIT: your second link there is broken
jephree
Thanks. It was a comparison page that appears to have timed out. Sorry.EDIT: your second link there is broken
The 9800's are on page 2 of the first link and the 9600's on page 1.
Here are the 9800's I was looking at:
XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB £102.75
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw…p;category_oid=
BFG 9800GT OC 512MB £107.64
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw…gory_oid=-31463
Troy
Unfortunately for you, bizarrebob, Crysis will bring any card in this budget range to its knees… a 9800GT would be about the best you can get, or ATI's similar-performing cards come in about a few cheaper. Here's one of XFX's ATI Radeon 4830 for a similar price/performance compared to the 9800GT.
You should still be able to play it on medium/high, depending on the resolution of your monitor.
Troy
You should still be able to play it on medium/high, depending on the resolution of your monitor.
Troy
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI