This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot use any key stroke application

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi
This problem is getting worse, infact it has done this twice already whilst trying to write this!
The PC is a Hewlett Packard, Pavillion media centre, running off Windows XP version 2002. with 1GB Ram.

I can be using any application, internet msn, email,gaming, and even Microsoft Office Word, and within seconds off using the keyboard the system creates a new tab with a header to:sign into Yahoo and address:
http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?&.src=ym&intl=uk

This carries on and I get a whole row of tabs for Yahoo sign in, there are 6 there now from starting to do this.

We had this problem about 8 months ago, I ran Hijack this, and didnt do anything with the logfile, but the problem disapeared, it's come back again now, making it impossible to work on the keyboard. 7 Tabs now!

Any thoughts what this might be?
Graham W,

Tallin may very well be right to suspect Malware infection, just like I previously mentioned to you.

However, please have a look at your Internet Options - Internet Properties - Tabbed Browsing Settings

To get to that panel
Start - Control Panel - Internet Options - Tabs - Settings(button)

here's a sequence of images that will help guide you if necessary📎Control_Panel_Internet_options.jpg
📎Internet_Properties_General_Tabs.jpg
📎Tabbed_Browsing_Settings.jpg

Make sure that the two settings marked with a short red line "are not" checkmark/ticked.

If your Internet Options are set consistent with the images displayed above, and your problem persists, then follow Tallin's linked instruction above.

Best Regards
Graham W. It's also possible that your keyboard driver has become corrupted. You could test that theory by going to your Device Manager and Removing the Keyboard Driver, then Reboot to allow Windows to find new hardware (keyboard) and install the driver. It is remotely possible that "dirt" under the keys could be the culprit. Turn your keyboard upside down and bang it a couple of times or vacuum it lightly. It is also very remotely possible that you have a combination of applications open when this occurs that in combination develop an automated conflict producing new tabs. I have a business version of Quick Books, Business Contact Manager, and ACT! on this machine. When all of them are open and I have multiple other Windows open, I sometimes experience an annoyance when typing the letter "s". Instead of typing "s" into a document or Forum post, striking the "s" key opens an annoying dialogue box related to those business related softwares. Only solution I've found to this last very remote possibility so far is to close one or more of the business software applications. ________________- The more I consider these "remote" possibilities, the more likely I think that Tallin's instructions are probably the way to go for you at this time. But check the possibilities that I've listed first, since they are quick to rule-out, and pose no hazard to your machine. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI