This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How to bypass Windows user screen to get to safe mode

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't know what happened, but when I boot the computer and it arrives at the user screen, I choose my profile from the two users listed and the system immediately shuts down. If I activate safe mode prior to seeing the user screen, when the user screen comes up, the administrator profile appears along with the two users. Choosing any profile, has the same result-shutdown. The only other clue I have is that the day prior, I was receiving anonymous pop-ups that were announcing that I was "at risk" and that I needed to perform an immediate virus scan. Unfortunately, I don't have any information as to where or who pop-ups were coming. And, I am assuming that the solution lies in being able to get to my desktop in safe mode and perform a system restore. Any light you could shed on this would be highly apprecated.
Hi rem65, welcome to WTT.

When you get the the Windows Advanced Options (often called Safe Mode) screen, chose the entry that says "Last known good configuration that worked", see if that resolves the problem.

If that works, then please go to the HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 5 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/What_Do_If_Y…ays_t78698.html

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI