This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Icon deletion and empty recycle bin?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Nothing goes as I plan when I turn on this machine in the morning. The goal today was to clean up my desktop, which has acquired a ton of icons during malware removal. My PSI program indicated I needed a Java update, so I now have a new icon. Searched icon removal and the instructions indicated the pop up window would indicate the shortcut would be sent to the recycle bin. Mine asks if I want to send " program name" to the recycle bin, of course I don't, just the icon. In the case of the new Java icon I can't find Java in the all programs part of my start menu. I sure don't want to loose Java. Next I find my recycle bin is empty. Just recently I put those small install programs you get when you download Hijack This,Malwerebytes,Combofix,etc, and now I find there gone. I don't think I need them , but I should now what is happening. I tried an experiment, by putting a file in the recycle bin and restarting my computer. The file is still there, thus isn't emptying upon booting. Last I have an icon that is a blank screen and is tittled IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe Description; Self extracting cabinet. Sounds real, but do I need an ican? OK its simple, but please help, Billed
Most desktop icons are just shortcuts, and can be deleted. To be sure, hit rightclick and properties - it will indicate if shortcut or not. Java can be accessed via Control Panel. If you run just about any disk cleanup program, it empties the Recycle Bin. Recycle Bins are NOT emptied automatically upon boot. That IE7 file is the installer for IE7 and can be deleted.
Hey Digerati, Thanks, my desktop is much more manageable already, and I understand what happened to my recycle bin. Appreciative, Billed
Understand also that your Desktop is really a folder. This means all those shortcuts on your desktop must be loaded when Windows starts. That can increase boot times, an consume resources. A tidy desktop is better.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI