This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Internet antivirus sites re-directed, desktop/icons forever t

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey guys – so I have a huge issue, not too sure what virus I’ve run into. I’ll start from the beginning. Yesterday as I was closing down my computer I noticed a Java icon on my taskbar, and I wasn’t running any java apps that I know of. I closed it down, and firefox froze on me. I finally decided to CTL+ALT+DEL firefox but I think the damage was done. I immediately ran a malwarebytes scan and it found 5 things, all Trojan/virus related (from what I remember they were avsoft/avsuite related because I remember thinking that they looked like Avast). I deleted them and rebooted. Upon reboot, my computer took forever from the login in screen to get to the desktop/icons. I read some info on running “explorer.exe” but it was already running. I shut it down and tried to run “explorer.exe” in the RUN option in the task manager. When it came up, the desktop and icons appeared, however they looked like an old OS. I have Windows XP, but it looked like windows 98 or something (gray task bar and task manager, hopefully that makes sense). I have malwarebytes, avast, mcafee, so I ran scans with those and they didn’t find anything. I could not connect to the internet, so I started up in safe mode and tried a scan then. Came up with nothing. Finally, I did a system restore to yesterday before I got infected and when I restarted it took forever to load again BUT it was back to the XP look (blue task bar/manager) thankfully. I was able to connect to firefox BUT when I go to antivirus sites I get redirected to bad sites according to WOT (I thought having WOT, and a bunch of spyware/antivirus software would save me from this, guess not). I’ve run full scans on malwarebytes and avast, along with using my PC to download spybot to a USB stick to transfer over to my laptop and install. Spybot found some spyware but nothing major. I am still getting re-directed (to random BAD sites) when trying to go to anti-virus sites and I don’t want to restart in case 1. it reverts back to the 98 view or 2. takes forever to load my desktop icons (just a blank view of the desktop photo). In addition I ran malwarebytes again (full scan), and it comes up clean (up to date version of the program of today also). So, I previously had a virus (6-12 months ago) and got amazing help through these forums using combofix. I also took every measure possible not to get one again with WOT, and these spyware/malware/antivirus programs. I dunno how I got another one! But my dumbass did, damnit!! Anyways, I have downloaded combofix again and I am ready to use it if necessary. Sorry to ramble on, just hoping to give the best picture of the situation. I THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE! YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks!
Hello gridiron and welcome to WhatTheTech. Please follow these guidelines:
  • Malware removal is a sometimes lengthy and tedious process. Please stick with the thread until I’ve given you the “All clear.” Absence of symptoms does not mean your machine is clean!
  • Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications without being directed to do so.
  • Please follow my instructions carefully and in the order they are posted.
  • Any underlined text in my posts indicates a clickable link.
  • You should print any instructions I give you for ease of use and reference.
  • If you have any questions at all, please stop and ask before proceeding.
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
    • DDS.scr
    • DDS.pif
  • Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)
  • Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and then click UPLOAD.
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to your desktop.
  • Double click the exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.


    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it


  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)a
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries


If you have trouble running GEMR:
  • Make sure that your security software is disabled
  • Uncheck the box next to "Files" this time also
  • If you still can't run it, try in the Safe Mode
Please include the following in your next post:
  • DDS and Attach.txt logs
  • GMER log

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI