This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

two add/remove icons

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I just got a trojan after typing, 'dependable online work', and clicking the first link. Since then I have two icons for add/remove in my control panel and when I Googled this issue, the C:>windows>syst 32>delete appwiz, the appwiz was not there. McAfee has since removed the trojan. I ran ccleaner after that then undid that. I did a system restore to no avail then undid it also. I think I am back where I started but with the two icons. Any ideas?
Hi Grampy.

First of all, in my search, the first link is Dependable Mortgage Online at www.dependableonline.com. I don't see anything questionable in the first few links there. My point being, maybe you are already infected with a rootkit that changes your google search results in an attempt to redirect you to bad pages.

You can open My Computer, navigate to C:\windows\ and search the system32 folder for *.cpl. This will show you the control panel applets. In that list you should see the questionable entry. appwiz.cpl is the one you want to keep, NOT delete. You just have to identify the other one and remove it. I suggest you simply rename the file and add a .bak to the end of the filename until you know for sure you got the right one.

Lastly, I'd suggest you take a stroll over to the malware removal forum and have a quick checkup done on your system and make sure there isn't something more there producing those erroneous google results.
I "searched" appwiz and when one with a 2 came up necx to it, I deleted it. Where ever I looked through the system 32 folder I saw no appwiz or appwiz.cpl. I no longer have two icons, have run a scan with McAfee and seem to be ok.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI