This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows activation loop problem, can't find correct registry key

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I was actually trying to deal with a virus/malware problem and in the process ran across this new problem. To preface the loop issue, I started by following the directions on these two posts:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Self_Help_t58958.html
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Before_Posti…elp_t57813.html


That is, I tried to update my service pack to SP3 but it didn't work (I think I got some kind of error message), but I did successfully update to IE7. I also downloaded and ran ERUNT and saved the log, and changed my folder options according to these instructions:

Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Also downloaded and ran ATF Cleaner and Malwarebytes. After doing all these things I figured I was ready to post in the Hijackthis forums, so I restarted my computer, and immediately got the Microsoft Activation Key loop problem: I turn on my computer, and after entering my account password in normal mode, a "Windows Product Activation" message comes up and says "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log in. Do you want to activate Windows now?" I click Yes, and after a few seconds the "Activate Windows" window opens and says "Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit." When I do this, I am taken back to the login screen, and the same thing happens again when I attempt to log in.

I Googled this problem and found a couple of solutions, one of which being that you edit your registry according to these specifications:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFTNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
(change Activation Required value to zero)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion
(change RegDone value to 1)

Boot into safe mode, click Start→Run and type regedit then check these values.


So, given all that background info, here is my main problem: I was able to change the RegDone value to 1, but I cannot find the MICROSOFTNT folder in the SOFTWARE folder, and thus I can't access the "Activation Required" value. This value is not in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion destination either. I tried using the Find function to search for "activationrequired" and variations on this within the registry but no luck. Could it be that this registry entry is called something different in XP Media Center?? The change to the RegDone value didn't make any difference on its own when I restarted my laptop and tried again. What can I do at this point?

Keep in mind I am extremely technologically challenged, and very apprehensive about messing around with my registry. Simple changes like these I can deal with, as I've backed up all my important files already, but anything much more complicated than these instructions and my eyes will probably glaze over…

Oh, yeah, and here is my machine/system information:
Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop, Windows XP Media Center (I'm pretty sure it's the 2005 edition), my laptop is about 3 years old and has been rebuilt once (I had malware/virus problems about a year ago, this was also when the technician who worked on my laptop installed XP Media Center).

Thanks so much. Hopefully I can get back into my laptop in normal mode soon so that I can pester you guys with my Hijackthis log as well, yipee.

EDIT: In desperation I rebooted my computer using "last known good configuration," and nothing changed.
Hi ohhellojanie, welcome to WTT.

The Activation Required key should be in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

If it's there, go ahead and change it to 0 and see what happens. Since you have ERUNT installed and have created a backup of your registry, any problem should be easy to recover from if necessary.
Ztruker, Thanks for your response. "Activation Required" is not there. Here is a partial list of what I see in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon: (Sorry, I would upload a screencap if I could but it won't let me in Safe Mode, I am using another PC for Internet access): (Default) allocatecdroms allocatedasd allocatefloppies AllowMultipleTSSessions AltDefaultDomainName AltDefaultUserName AutoRestartShell Background cachedlogonscount DebugServerCommand … all the way down to WinStationsDisabled An update of what I've done since my first post: Pulled my hair out, ran a few more antivirus scans, and finally decided I could live with restoring my computer to the Dell factory settings if it would mean I could just start over with a clean hard drive (I have all my important files backed up, so I'm not too worried about losing my current settings). However, I don't have the XP-installation disks (they're back at my apartment, I'm home for Spring break) and the built-in PC-Restore function does not work on my laptop, because the Ctrl-F11 command does not work during startup. To fix this, I tried booting DSRFIX (http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm), but I got too many "fatal"s for me to use it in order to resurrect the PC-Restore function. Arghh! :wacko:
Hi,
These sort of problems sometimes (not always, just sometimes) arise when a "pirated" copy of the Windows operating system is installed.
You mentioned that a technician installed a new operating System (Windows XP Media Centre) about a year ago….so one approach would be to contact her/him and ask for the machine to be checked and fixed. This may be difficult for you due to your location, so an alternative would be to contact Microsoft and seek their guidance..

You could also have a look here:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/g…c-deeb2823bd72/
There are some useful suggestions, but I would particularly draw your attention to the penultimate post from Arosh 26th May 2008).
Hopefully this will provide you with a solution, but you will definitely need the genuine Microsoft install disc for this to be effective
Regards
paws
paws, Thanks for your advice. I thought I would try installing Service Pack 3 to see if it would make any difference (I remember reading this suggestion somewhere in my Googling), but when I tried logging in through "Safe Mode with Networking" I get a similar error message: "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft… Because activation cannot occur in safe mode, please restart your computer in normal mode to activate Windows." Oddly, I've never received this message when logging in through regular "Safe Mode." Is there a way to update my laptop's SP without having internet access? As far as I can tell, there is no SP3 .exe file that is available for download from the Microsoft website, that I could transfer to my internet-incapable laptop via flash drive, but I may be missing something. I guess my only option at this point is to ask the technician to take a look at it. To this day I don't know why she decided to install XP Media Center instead of regular XP. I'll show her the suggestion you linked to and if all else fails hopefully she has a legitimate copy of regular XP that she can re-install on my laptop.
paws, Thanks so much! I don't know how I missed that option before, d'oh! I installed SP3 on the laptop and now it seems to be working fine. Finally ready to start tackling the spyware/malware! Thanks again for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI