This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Bluescreen in Vista x64

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've had this problem for about two weeks, getting bluescreens quite often. It doesn't happen in Safe Mode, though. I've run CHKDSK to check for hard drive errors (Som results/fixes, but bluescreens remained nonetheless), and I've run AVG to scan for viruses (viri?) several times with no result. Bluescreens sometimes appear five minutes after I boot the computer, or several hours later. Sometimes it can run without a bluescreen at all. I tried to get help to see if I had malware over at the MalwareRemoval forums, but apparently, their tools weren't made for use with x64 and directed me over here, as it might be a hardware or other software problem. I haven't found any specific programs to be the result of the BSoD:s, but as I said, it doesn't happen in Safe Mode. Thanks for the help in advance. EDIT: Maybe I should post machine specs as well… GPU: ATI Radeon 4870x2 CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz RAM: Not sure about the brand, but I have 4 gig. HDD: 2 Hitachi HD(Insert LONG letter/number combo) at 465 gig, only using one of them with about 290 gig of data on it. Sound units: Lists "ATI HDMI Audio" and "RealTek Hight Definiton Audio".
I reformatted and reinstalled out of being tired of the problem. I still get the same problem. This leads me to suspect defective RAM, any way to check that? dayam, sorry about the double post.
Hi

:welcome:

Sorry for the late response.

This leads me to suspect defective RAM, any way to check that?


To start with, you could open up your case. Be sure to take anti-static precautions
(Touch bare metal) before fiddling with the interior.

Remove one RAM block. I assume, that with 4GB of RAM, you have 2x2GB. Try run with
the one left. If you still get BSOD's, swap the RAM's and then try again. Trying different
slots for the RAM on the MB might also do the trick.

Be sure the contact surfaces on the RAM are clean. I use a pencil rubber to softly but yet
firm, to "polish" the contact surfaces. Using canned air to blow out the RAM slots if dust is
present.

If, despite trying the above, you still get BSOD's, you might be facing the unlikely of two
defective RAM blocks or a defective MB. Assuming the RAM is the culprit for your BSOD's.


Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI