This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Dell Fails

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Alright, I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. Works surprisingly well for a Dell, considering Dells are evil. Anywho, the battery is pretty much useless, I can get a whopping 15 minutes out of it now when I'm not on AC power. I've learned my lesson on proper care of batteries and how to prolong their life and not use up all their charges right away. Problem is… now I need a new one. The Dell website has batteries for my model, but they all have terrible reviews. Mainly because they are all WAY over priced for not that good of a battery. They die too quickly - even with proper care - and don't last that long hour-wise either. Is there anywhere I can find a GOOD battery for my laptop that isn't from the Dell manufacturer? I'm sure with a bit of research I could find something myself… it's not that I'm lazy, I just want to know what the opinions of the people on this site are. Basically…. what's the BEST option you've all come across? Any help/advice would be much appreciated. I don't have a lot of money, so cost IS an issue. And if I'm going to save up to spend a good deal on a battery, I at least want it to be worth the cash moneys. Thanks everyone!
StarryNight, Beware of bad reviews they don't always tell the truth. Either way you look at it your battery is expected to die in 1-3 years. In addition to that 6 Cell batteries are only good for a 2-4 hours. If length of charge is a issue you might want to take a look at a 9 cell battery.
Man I hate trying to find batteries for laptops. They are ALL way over priced. Its ridiculous how over priced they are.

You might as well get on Ebay and order a cheap chinese import with a 1 year warranty. You're still going to pay an arm and a leg for it in my opinion. ($50-$70) I wouldn't be caught dead paying anymore than that for one. I'll throw the laptop away first. :)

If you're crafty you could probably carefully open the battery case you have now and replace the Li-Ion cells with new, high quality cells for 1/5 the price. Who knows, I've never done it before.

http://www.summet.com/blog/2007/02/17/laptop-battery-refill/
Thanks for the helpful advice, guys! Tuxmaster - There were nothing BUT bad reviews, so it was hard to ignore that. Appleoddity - That's crazy interesting… refilling. Hm, maybe I should research that and consider it. Hehe!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI