This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

error message

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hope I am in the right place. One week ago I started to get an error message when downloading my icons.Went to msconfig> startup> and unchecked the box Regsvr32. Still got that error message, when on clicked on IE.It makes IE download very slow. The error message is the following: top of box on the left side, in blue says: Regsvr32 under that is a yellow warning triangle——— to the right of that it says—No DLL name Specified under that it says–Usage: regsvr32 [/n] [:cmdline]] dll name under that is says–/u- unregister server /s- silent: display no message boxes /i- call dll install passing it an optional[cmdline]; when used with/ucalls DLL uninstall /n- do not call Dll Register server can you help me with this.can I get rid of this meesage and restore my speed when clicking on IE
Hi altima56,

"something" is trying to run from your Startup File.
It could be part of a program you recently installed and then deleted, or maybe it was corrupted during the installation.

Let's try to find it. Then we can decide what to do with it.

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as Plain Text (name the report file - Startups Mach13.txt)

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

Best Regards
Not sure how you wanted me to post this response. There where only 3 startups Name Description Avgnt anti virus Ctfmon.exe Ctf loader [ microsft ] quick time quick time task A week ago, I did find that it wasa in the start up file. At that time , I did stop that. The problem is the error message comes up when I download IE. It makes everything run slow. I read alot on this error message and I don`t know if it is a virus or I deleted by mistake a DLL
Hi altima56,

A couple of question and a suggestion:

an error message when downloading my icons

What icons were you downloading …. and from where?
_______________

error message comes up when I download IE

Are you actually downloading a new version of IE when this happens.
Or perhaps are you meaning the error occurs when you click on IE to load/open IE ?
_______________

You may benefit from running System File Checker
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow

SFC may call for your XP installation CD if it identifies a missing or corrupt file.

Best Regards
Thanks for your reply. First I didn`t explain myself properly. When I click on IE, is when the error message comes up. Second, I did what you said. Click on Run and type sfc/scannow and I get a message telling me windows can`t find sfc/ scannow.
thanks for your response. I reran the sfc scan. I did get the message to instert my windows XP cd. Which CD are you talking about ? The one I have is to reinstall my operating system. Is that the one you mean. As you know, by inserting that CD ROM, I will delete my operating system. I am not as experienced as you and I want to make sure I am doing the right thing, before I do it. Thanks for all your help
When you insert your XP installation media CD allow it to display the option panel and then simply Close it with the little X in the box at the upper right hand corner, then answer the nuisance questions ("installation has not completed are you sure you wish to close?") answer "yes" you are sure you wish to close. Then the CD will be in place for you to continue with SFC. Best Regards
Doug, got your message. i did what you said , did not work out . Ran sfc scan.Got the message Windows File protection Box Insert Windows XP CD– gave me 3 options Retry- More info- cancel At that time I inserted the reinstallation CD for windows XP home edition. This is what came up Welcome to Microsoft Windows What do you wnat to do 1. Install windows 2.install optional windows components 3. perform additional tasks 4.Check sysytem compatibility Not knowing what to do, I Xed out of it. Then the Windows file box message kept on coming up So I shut everything down. I did not see the "X" in the box at the upper right corner Am I using the right disk?? HELP
Hi altima56. Doug asked one of us to see if we can help you with your problem, so here I am (warts and all as they say :pullhair: )

From your last few posts, it sounds like you do not have a regular Windows XP install CD, but instead have a manufacturers restoration CD. If that is the case, then you will not be able to run SFC.

If I understand your problem correctly, when you double click on the Internet Explorer icon, you are getting the Regsvr32, right. Are you using IE6, IE7 or IE8 as your web browser?

All 3 have the ability to start without any Add-ons, which may be what is causing your problem.Try the following:

IE6 - Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools then Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
IE7 or IE8 - Click on Start then Run, type iexplore -extoff and press Enter or click OK.

If that works then you can use Tools / Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer to disable them a few at a time until you find the one that is causing the problem. If it doesn't make any difference there are other things we need to look at.

Let me know how you make out.
I am sorry that I have not gotten back to you sooner. I have IE7. I did what you said. Start, run ,type, iexplore. I got this message. IE7 is currently running without add-ons. Then went to tools, manage add- ons. All where disabled except these: name type microsoft silverlight activeX control shockwave flash object activeX control Do these need to be disabled
So when you entered iexplore -extoff, Internet Explorer started okay and you DID NOT get the error message, right?

If so, start it normally, ignore the error. Does Internet Explorer open okay? If yes, then use Tools / Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer to disable them a few at a time until you find the one that is causing the problem. After disabling a few, close IE then start it again, see if you get the error message. If not then one of the ones you disabled is causing the problem. Now you need to enable them one at a time, closing and starting IE after each until yopu find the one that is causing the error.

When you find it, uninstall it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI