This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't boot in Safe Mode 2 clean up d machine.. :-(

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Windows XP with SP2 installed. SP3 has also been downloaded and installed. The machine is booting normally. Its been infected with virus and I thought of cleaning with an anti-virus. But when I installed Avira (trial version) and tried, the anti-virus would not even start! The worst part is the Regedit and Task Manager are disabled. I tried using a restriction removal tool. But it was effective only for a few seconds. I tried re-installing the OS. But that too failed, regedit and task manager were enabled only for a few minutes. A friend suggested logging into Safe Mode and trying the anit-virus. But when I tried, the booting stopped at some BiThd.sys file and restarted. Tried again and the same result. I tried booting from the Windows CD, reached recovery console and ran CHKDSK /R. It scanned till 75%, came back to 50%, again reached 75%, came back again, thrice. At the end, it displayed as 1 error was fixed or something like tat. Tried in vain again to boot in Safe Mode. When the system booted normally, the start up items did not load and the system was busy for a long time (for more than half an hour) and would not allow me to access anything. Before trying any of the above, I tried using AVG 8 free edition. It just swept away all the EXE's from the system. I had to re-install all the softwares, including the OS. Hope I have made my situation clear and understandable… The only option left for me is a complete format of all the drives. But I doubt that too, to be a solution, since I tried the same earlier on C drive and was unsuccessful. I don't know what to do now. I am posting this from a net cafe. Any help for the above issue(s) is very much welcomed…
:welcome: Hood,

I am not sure when reading your post whether you can boot up your computer successfully to be able to follow this site http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html to post a HJT log to the correct forum.

If you can, you will need to be patient as the Malware fighters are very busy. If you have not had a reply in 5 days, please post a gentle reminder here. Once you post in the correct forum, do not reply to your own post as the Malware folk look for unanswered logs.

kind regards,
Please follow appropriate etiquette when coming to a forum for help. The people here are kind and willing to help everyone. But we are also a crowd of mature people with real lives. This is not your favorite instant messenger, and this is certainly not a text message you send with your cell phone. If you expect help you need to write complete words, in complete sentences. Posting a message like this not only frustrates, it confuses and you're unlikely to get any real help.
Hello all, I have completely formatted my hard disk and am in the process of re-installing the OS. I have some problems in it which I think I will resolve soon. Thanks for the indicating the 'apprpriate etiquette' to me appleoddity. It was my mistake… I request the admin to close this thread.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI