This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Tried to cleanup and now I cant boot in

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was getting fake antivirus popups and fake pornsites in the browser. Attempts to engage AVG scans or anything like Malwarebytes, Spybot, Trend Micro online, etc were blocked. I googled these symptoms and found some similar situations with various solutions. One of them recommended a utility called rskill which would supposedly shut this thing down. I tried that and it did. Most functionality was temporarily restored. However, I ran into trouble while trying to clean up. The system bluescreens out when trying to boot into safe mode, or when I attempt to run the XP disc (it initiates but after the reading files process it errors out). I ran Malwarebytes which found some things and deleted them, then AVG which did the same. AVG pointed out that the System32\userinit.exe file was infected, but couldn't remove it. I replaced it with a copy from a known good system. Then I ran Windows Security Essentials, which said it dealt with the infection and asked to reboot. Now the system gets to the logon screen but won't logon. I read some more and realized that replacing the userinit.exe file was a waste of time as this beast apparently modifies the registry to point elsewhere. I tried to run regedit on the infected box via the network from my box, but that requires a logon password and I cant remember what logon password is, or if I ever set one up at all. Am I fubared? :)
are you able to reach the safe mode advanced menu?

reboot and tap F8 repeatedly upon startup until the advanced menu appears

arrow up to "last Known Good Configuration" > select it and see if you can boot normally


If you can't try again and see if you can boot into safe mode:

if you can the please run the following scans:

Please download MBRCheck.exe to your desktop.
  • Be sure to disable your security programs
  • Double click on the file to run it (Vista and Windows 7 users will have to confirm the UAC prompt)
  • A window will open on your desktop
  • if an unknown bootcode is found you will have further options available to you, at this time press N then press Enter twice.
  • If nothing unusual is found just press Enter
  • A .txt file named MBRCheck_mm.dd.yy_hh.mm.ss should appear on your desktop.
  • Please post the contents of that file.



NEXT



Please download DDS from either of these links

LINK 1
LINK 2

and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.pif to run the tool.
  • When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt.



NEXT


Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to your desktop. It will be a randomly named executable.
  • Double click the exe file.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO, then use the following settings for a more complete scan.

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Ensure the following are unchecked
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in reply.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI