I recently had a virus on my computer and Ken545 from another post helped me clean off my computer to find all of the places it was hiding. My computer was running fine but then I left it on over the weekend last weekend. On Monday, I tried to open a Word doc that I had used all last week and Word gave me an error message that it could not start the converter mswrd632. I tried the Microsoft Fix It and that didn't work. I also tried to open a folder of jpgs that I was using on Friday and I got a message that the files were missing or corrupt – the folder properties give a size like there are files in it, but when you open the folder, you can't see anything. And I know there were a lot of files in it. The Word doc in question also says its 47kb, but now when I try to open it, it says the file is missing, but I can see the icon there. The virus was on my C drive and when I got the virus, I moved my project files to an external drive for protection. The files in question that are either now corrupt or missing were on the external drive. I was able to recover the originals from my C drive, but I still can't figure out what happened to those files. I was wondering if the corrupt files are related to the virus that was on my computer.
I haven't had any other problems with other files so far; I just wanted to be sure that my drive wasn't affected because it's more of a back up drive than one I work from…
A little bit in a swerve of your topic here but… c:\documents and settings\Teresa Robinett\Application Data\srsf.bat
This file that was removed in your Malware Thread is/was an information stealing trojan. I suggest that you immediately change all your passwords. Especially anything related to stuff like online banking. If you do use online banking… I suggest that you monitor your accounts carefully for any unusual activity.
I honestly don't know what it can get to. Some can basically take charge of your system and get to anything via remote access. I don't believe this one is that powerful… but I have no way of knowing if information was accessed or not.