This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Copying filenames from explorer to any text editor

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there! I would like to ask help in copying files from my explorer to any office software, let's say, word or excel. I have googled it and found some instructions, however its beyond my comprehension. :pullhair: Some offer software. Thank you very much!
i usually do it this way: right-click the file, choose "rename", then select the name and Ctrl+C Ctrl+V. If you need to copy multiple filenames at once, maybe you need some software, like DirLister
hi! thanks for the hint! i managed to follow the instruction given using DOS. Maybe i had a hard time understanding since i am not very familiar with dos commands.
i managed to follow the instruction given using DOS?????

How did you do this using DOS? That would be a neat trick.

I use pretty much the same method Blowwish mentioned, though slightly different.

Single click on a file whose name I want to copy
Press the F2 key (rename)
Right click on the highlighted file and select copy

Then I can paste it anywhere I need it.

hi! thanks for the hint!

i managed to follow the instruction given using DOS. Maybe i had a hard time understanding since i am not very familiar with dos commands.


So, the most optimized and fast way would be yours F2 + mine Ctr+C and Ctrl+V :D
Just for the heck of it I tried copying a file and then pasting it into Word. Instead of the text it creates the name as an image with a blank background and plain text format. Not very useful but interesting none the less.

i managed to follow the instruction given using DOS?????

How did you do this using DOS? That would be a neat trick.

I use pretty much the same method Blowwish mentioned, though slightly different.

Single click on a file whose name I want to copy
Press the F2 key (rename)
Right click on the highlighted file and select copy

Then I can paste it anywhere I need it.


Hi, the OP didn't use DOS, but used the command prompt none the less. I'm sure you are familiar with output redirection at the command prompt? The command to list filenames to a text file would look something like this, dir /b > filelist.txt. This command tells the DIR command to use a "bare format" listing (no header information) and directs the command interpreter to redirect the output of the DIR command to the file called filelist.txt.

With some ingenuity this could actually be used as a right-click context menu item to where you would right click a folder in explorer and have a custom created menu item that you could click to immediately generate a file with a listing of filenames for the folder you selected. I'm not about to go there. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI