Hardware
Graphics tend to be delayed
22 min read
eharri2
Hey Appleoddity and Doug,
Great news. I just reinstalled the operating system on the same hard drive, and I'm on my computer right now. If it's ok with you, I might try and install PCPitStop and give u guys the results. Any other advice to see how bad the damage really is?
Sincerely,
eharri2
appleoddity
Hi eharri. Please run a full surface scan with chkdsk on your hard drive to verify there is no bad sectors found.
You can do this by clicking start -> run -> typing 'cmd' and pressing ENTER.
At the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r" and press ENTER. You will see a warning about not being able to get exclusive access to the drive, and you will be given an option to schedule the scan for the next reboot. Please tell it YES.
Reboot your computer and be patient while the scan completes, as it will take a while. Pay attention to it periodically to see if it mentions anything about bad clusters found.
eharri2
Yep. Found 2 bad clusters. Every scan I schedule ends up finding a bad cluster. Not sure what to do.
Sincerely,
eharri2
Abydos
Yep. Found 2 bad clusters. Every scan I schedule ends up finding a bad cluster. Not sure what to do.
Sincerely,
eharri2
Hi again
Only thing to do, is to keep at it, until you get zero errors. There is no way
to tell which clusters are problematic or not, unless one have some heavy
duty tech gear, which is certainly out of the scope here
So stay in there, and keep in touch.
Regards Abydos
Doug
Continue the process of scanning with chkdsk until it completes all scans without moving, replacing, fixing.
Ugh! Tedious? yes, I'm sure you have better things to do with your computing time.
But leaving bad-clusters to be assigned to important system or application files is not recommended.
This is the same Hard Drive that you intend to send to Toshiba for replacement?
If you get it all fixed up, they may run their own test and discover no fault and return the same HD to you.
I would print a record of the CHKDSK alerts from Event Viewer and include them when you send the unit.
Also consider placing a small unobtrusive mark with an indelible marking pen somewhere on the Hard Disk casing.
I'm not predicting Toshiba intends to treat you poorly, just being careful if they do.
Best Regards,
Oooops!
Started to reply, then got distracted.
Came back, finished and posted, only to find Abydos had already helped you.
Good Go! Abydos. and my apologies for the repetition of instructions about recommended repetition of CHKDSK.
Ugh! Tedious? yes, I'm sure you have better things to do with your computing time.
But leaving bad-clusters to be assigned to important system or application files is not recommended.
This is the same Hard Drive that you intend to send to Toshiba for replacement?
If you get it all fixed up, they may run their own test and discover no fault and return the same HD to you.
I would print a record of the CHKDSK alerts from Event Viewer and include them when you send the unit.
You can find the results of a chkdsk session by going to Event Viewer, highlighting Applications, and scrolling down the list looking for Winlogon.
Also consider placing a small unobtrusive mark with an indelible marking pen somewhere on the Hard Disk casing.
I'm not predicting Toshiba intends to treat you poorly, just being careful if they do.
Best Regards,
Oooops!
Started to reply, then got distracted.
Came back, finished and posted, only to find Abydos had already helped you.
Good Go! Abydos. and my apologies for the repetition of instructions about recommended repetition of CHKDSK.
appleoddity
Continue to run the scans until no more bad sectors are found?
This is where I have to really disagree. If you run the chkdsk once, and you find bad sectors (only a couple) then great, you have found them and locked them out. If you run the scan again, and find more bad sectors, your drive, without a doubt, is failing. Quit wasting your time, and replace the drive. One scan is all it takes to lock out a couple problematic sectors. Anything more and your drive is trash and time to be replaced. Luckily there is no data on the drive you want, right?
eharri2
Lol. Yea I'm just gonna go ahead and discard the drive. The time I'm putting into it is not worth it. I guess I'll let you guys know how the new drive works. Be in touch soon
Sincerely,
eharri2
Abydos
Lol. Yea I'm just gonna go ahead and discard the drive. The time I'm putting into it is not worth it. I guess I'll let you guys know how the new drive works. Be in touch soon
Sincerely,
eharri2
tallin
eharri,
That is a fine decision and one you will not regret. 
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI