This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

New Hard Drive Not Detected in Bios

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

I'm attempting to install a brand new hard drive into a Compaq notebook. The caddy and adapter from the old HD fit fine onto the new HD and it is physically installed on the notebook with no complications. However, when I try to boot up, I get the following message:

PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable

Press a key to reboot system


When I go into the BIOS Setup Utility, the hard drive line reads:

Internal Hard Disk [None]

Is this something that is fairly straightforward to fix? It sounds like an "under the hood" problem. I'd like to get this new hard drive recognized by the notebook so I can try out Ubuntu.

Thanks,

Dave
Alright, Thanks for everyone who looked at this and even considered a reply, but I've fixed it. Two of the pins on the adapter were bent down and so were not making contact with the pins on the motherboard so naturally, the BIOS didn't detect the new HD. Everything is fine now and I'm running Ubuntu Studio 7.10. Dave :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI