This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Is There A Good Free Popup Program?

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I use IE exclusively here, adding another layer to IE is not the answer in my opinion nor is using another browser since you have to keep IE updated anyway to prevent problems on security in Windows….

Hi Coyote -

I have tried several other browsers, and I keep coming back to IE. I guess that's 'cause as you said, you have to go there now and then anyway to update, and it's familiar and easy to use.

But, I like to stay open minded just to stay in the know, 'cause…well….ya just never know.. :)
I'm happy enough with my IE. And you can only use IE-SPYAD with IE as far as I know.

Protection - download and install:

SpywareBlaster will block bad ActiveX and malevolent cookies. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

IE-SPYAD puts over 4000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD

Both are very small free programs that you run once, and then just occasionally to check for updates.

And also see
So how did I get infected in the first place?

I'm happy enough with my IE. And you can only use IE-SPYAD with IE as far as I know.

Protection - download and install:

SpywareBlaster will block bad ActiveX and malevolent cookies. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

IE-SPYAD puts over 4000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD

Both are very small free programs that you run once, and then just occasionally to check for updates.

And also see
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Hi cmn -

Thank you for for the additional website information. I'll check these out for sure.
I have SpyBot, but, I have heard that the SpyBlaster is very good too.
If you like IE you can try Avant browser it's a great browser that uses the IE shell and has pop up blocker built in and lots of other very useful things like a Full screen thats really full screen. I use it and I think it's great! I could never go back to IE browser again.

If you like IE you can try Avant browser it's a great browser that uses the IE shell and has pop up blocker built in and lots of other very useful things like a Full screen thats really full screen. I use it and I think it's great! I could never go back to IE browser again.

Hi Guest! :)

I'm just a few posts into this forum myself, a real greenhornet.. eh…greenhorn.. :huh:

I don't use the Internet very much. I'm not one to sit for hours and Surf the Net. To me, the Internet is a tool, and, and I only go there when I need to do a certain type of chore, or need information for one to be done off the net. I son't need pretty, fancy or one with a gazillion ads and other hookons to confuse me even more. :unsure:

Thank you for then additional info, and I'll check into the Avant and see if it will work for me.
I am sure someone here knows what Bayesian Filtering and SpamBayes are, but, I have never heard of this before. A friend recommended it, except, I am not at all familiar with what all this is about. I have OE6, and they said it only works with Outlook because it has to use some kind of plug-in. It does not sound like it would have anything to do with stopping popups, but, I don't know. :scratch: I would appreciate knowing a bit more about this and what it applies to, other than the obvious….Spam. Thanks Tink :)

It is just for filtering spam. They are very clever filters. http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html
http://www.paulgraham.com/better.html

For popups, I still say the Google toolbar version 2 is the best ever. toolbar.google.com

Thank you cnm -

Sounds like a really good tool for fighting spam. While I'm not 'real' crazy about Outlook, it just might be worth the switch…well….ahmmm….for e-mails anyway… maybe…..???

Thanks a lot for the information. Guess I'll keep my friend on the 'whitelist' for a while then. :)


Tink :wavey:
Heyyy!!! I just noticed….the eyes of your kitty move! Kewl!! Whew! I thought is was just my eyes playing tricks on me. Kinda caught me off guard (which is about as easy as tracking a snail or his cousin Vinny The Slug across the Salt Flats). :blink: Tink :)
Hi Tink
That Guest post was mine, I seen and open post area and thought I was logged in. The Avant browser advice I gave you was what I like as a browser no matter if you spend hours on the net or use it as a tool. Like I said it has one built in but if you are happy with what you have try this I used it for some time and it worked great for me It's called free surfer http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/ and you can get it here.

Hi Tink
That Guest post was mine, I seen and open post area and thought I was logged in. The Avant browser advice I gave you was what I like as a browser no matter if you spend hours on the net or use it as a tool. Like I said it has one built in but if you are happy with what you have try this I used it for some time and it worked great for me It's called free surfer http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/ and you can get it here.

Oh….I see…well…Hi Norseman! :wavey:

The Surfer information you posted looks pretty good. I'll do a bit more reading up on it, as it looks like it has a few interesting features.

Thank you for the additional info, I really do appreciate it.

Tink :)

There are some for Outlook Express also. http://www.presorium.com/index.shtml

Hi cnm -

Thank you so much for this information on OE…Ias really prefer to use the OE instead of the Outlook. I would get a bit confused having to use Outlook for E-mails and the OE for my various newsgroups.

I have this type of situation at work, where I have to use Outlook for e-mails, and the OE to view the NG's. But, if I want to post a message or reply to one, then I have to go to the Internet and access the newsgroup from there, as I can't post or reply from the OE at work because I don't have Admin rights to set up the connection, and our IT won't do it for me. Although,…. they told me to use the NG's for help with program problems..???…. :huh:

I would not want to have to do the 'disco' at home as well (disco here to OE, disco there to OL). :unsure:

I'll check it out the information, and hopefully, this will work for me.

Tink :wavey: