Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Is There A Good Free Popup Program?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:58 PM

Hi all - I am just sooo sick of those mindless, endless popups when I'm looking for sites on the Internet. :angry: I was wondering if there was a free, bugless program that would stop these stupid things. Any information would be very much appreciated. :)
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DroidC

DroidC

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:02 PM

You can try the Google toolbar that also includes a popup stopper

http://toolbar.google.com/
Droid C

#3 Zero

Zero

Not really Less Than One ;-)

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach.

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:53 PM

Google toolbar is by far the best.

But IE is carp** :)

Get a real browser

http://www.mozilla.org
Posted Image

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:19 AM

I know a dude named Tink.. anyway.. Hi Tink- What OS are you using...XP? 2000? if so you might try simply disabling the messenger service.. BUT BE CAREFUL.... services are not ment to be turned off and on, on a whim. Let us know what operating system you are on

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#5 P.T.

P.T.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:computer stuff, web design, learning something new.

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:20 AM

I used Panicware Pop-Stopper Campanion for YEARS and loved it. No problems ever. Then I got ZA Pro and didn't need it.
Posted Image

What lies behind us and lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Computer Rx

#6 K McK

K McK

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:07 PM

I like PopSwatter. It works great. No more Popups!!

#7 Maddoktor2

Maddoktor2

Staff Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:29 PM

I've used Pow! for a long time, and am very happy with it.

HTH :)
*Dok's Law*: The simplicity of a solution is directly proportionate to its elusiveness.

#8 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:11 PM

I know a dude named Tink.. anyway.. Hi Tink-
What OS are you using...XP? 2000? if so you might try simply disabling the messenger service.. BUT BE CAREFUL.... services are not ment to be turned off and on, on a whim. Let us know what operating system you are on

Hi Crow...well...sorry that I am not the dude named Tink that you know. I'm that 'nother gender. ;)
I have Windows ME.

Thank you. :)
aka Jan Il MS MVP - IE/OE Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious.

#9 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:13 PM

I like PopSwatter. It works great. No more Popups!!

Hi K McK -

I have heard about this one, but, not sure how it would work.

Thank you, I'll check into it. :)

#10 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:15 PM

IF I had to use one (I don't have the need because Proxomitron takes care of a bunch of those problems), I would use Pow! also, AnalogX has many other useful tools at his site as well
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:16 PM

Google toolbar is by far the best.

But IE is carp** :)

Get a real browser

http://www.mozilla.org

Hi PT -

I tried Mozilla, and Firebird, and didn't like the UI.

Thank you for the information on the Google toolbar . :)

#12 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:17 PM

IF I had to use one (I don't have the need because Proxomitron takes care of a bunch of those problems), I would use Pow! also, AnalogX has many other useful tools at his site as well

Hi Coyote -

I have not heard about this program yet. But, I'll check into it.

Thank you for the additional information. :)

#13 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:23 PM

Well Tink, aint nuttin wrong with "that other" gendor and I appologize for the mix up.. Welcome, though, to Coyote's forums. I am positive you will find all the help you need here.
Windows ME is a great OS.. (ducks to miss all the "boooo's" from the peanut gallery) it simply needs a little attention every once in awhile. Remember to run your maintinance wizzard as often as possible and you will get your money's worth out of ME.
Reason for wanting to know your OS is that I have a person with same problem on XP and happened to be fresh on my mind. But may I suggest this... I am not sure whom your ISP is (isp should provide a little protection if your using there software) but click here to goto CNET/Download.com and download Avant and/or Slim browser's. I like them both but my pref' is Moz. Avant is an excellent browser.. nice GUI properties and seems to do the trick to elliminate pop-up's..
Hope that helps some

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#14 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:34 AM

I use IE exclusively here, adding another layer to IE is not the answer in my opinion nor is using another browser since you have to keep IE updated anyway to prevent problems on security in Windows....
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#15 Tink

Tink

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:15 AM

Windows ME is a great OS.. (ducks to miss all the "boooo's" from the peanut gallery) it simply needs a little attention every once in awhile. Remember to run your maintinance wizzard as often as possible and you will get your money's worth out of ME.

Hi Crow -

Well...I have also gotten the rozberries for sticking with WinME, but, there are some features I like about it, like.... it came with, so I get to keep my warranty ;)

I have found the forums here to be most helpful, and the folks that come here are very helpful and a cheerful lot. Makes it easy for those like myself that don't like starch in my apron.

I really appreciate the additional infomation on the browers, and I will check them out.

Thanks!