This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] hello again, i think i'm infected with something

24 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

darn, combo fix also changed the time to military time…….. and it said it would revert back….but it didn't…that doesn't bode well either….. i went into the control panel and time…but saw nothing to click on to change it to regular time
compudodo,

If you want your clock in 12 hr vs. 24 hour format:

  • Click on Start
  • Click on Control Panel
  • Click on Regional and language options
  • Click on customize
  • Click on Time tab
  • Click on arrow to the right of time format
  • Select h:mm:ss tt
  • OK your way out

Look at this as a new computer trick you learned (alot of people don't know how to do this) :thumbup:
oh ok…..i will let the avg scan finish and then I will do what you just said to do….. Ok, that is good to know someone was helping you with all my junk….. I hope he realizes how wonderful you are!!!! :)……..I am waiting for the scan to finish. Oh that's another thing…I have a kajillion files on this machine now…the scans take over 30 minutes now, is there someway that the computer can throw out temporary files, I see an awful lot of temporary files flying thru the scan…do i really need half of this stuff do you think? Is the computer able to differentiate between stuff I need and junk I don't? I know enough to go into something in my computer that condenses files, you know what I am talking about? you get all those green, red and blue bars that are spaced crazily….and by the end of the process, you only have one fatter green, blue and red bar and a whole lot more white space……. is that the only way to clean out the junk in my computer????
heeheeheeheeheeheehee, she cackles with glee……. it worked!!!! super neato!!!! I really get a charge out of doing this stuff, it is down right fun…too bad I couldn't figure out that floppy A problem huh? I might go back and take new pictures now that I have a better pixel digital camera, my old one was only a 2.1 …..my new one is 8 mega pixels with a zoom feature….i bet I will get better quality pictures with this camera and I can compare them to the pictures on the old thread.
compudodo,

Do you still have ATF cleaner on your computer? I think you installed it when you were here before. It's only job in life is to clean out temp files. If you don't still have it, no big deal, here is how you get it after your scans are done.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)

It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

The thing with the colored bars is when you Defrag your hard drive. That's short for defragment. Sometime, as you use your computer, files will become fragmented. You'll end up with some file, then a space, then some more file, etc. When you defrag, your files will be put together and the blank spaces will be eliminated so it's easier for the computer to find the files and it's faster also. I suggest that this be one of the topics that you go over with the Tech Team to learn more about it.
you know what????? I just went into myway.com, where I have a seldom used email account, and in the junk file were two emails from someone i do not know at all…and i did not open them, but the second one had a subject that said: apologies my gmail account was hacked…now I did not open either of these, just found them…… i sent them right to the trash bin….but could this have been the culprit?
YEAH, that's what it is called, defragging….. sorry, I forget the computer lingo….. I do that every couple of months…any longer and it just takes forever to do…… NO, I didn't have that other program from before, I will definitely do that too…and I am going over to the other team and hopefully Tallin can set me up with a regular computer maintenance schedule…Abydos said hi to day and he said I just have to take it slow… do just one thing on Monday, one thing on Tuesday, One thing on Wednesday, he said it is very doable that way and I won't get all frazzled or stressed. I am definitely going to be more proactive with my computer maintenance…now that I know how to open up the darn tower, I am starting to feel like I can do more and more.
compudodo, Not knowing exactly what file it was targeting, I can't really tell, but it is possible that that email is the culprit. However, if you never clicked on the attachement, it shouldn't have been able to install on your computer. It usually takes either opening an attachment or clicking on a link. We often never know where they come from. :unsure: As far as your computer abilities go, just recognizing that your computer had a problem and then coming here for help tells us that you know more about your computer than the majority of computer users out there. I would bet that less than half know how to use notepad and then only half of them know how to turn off word wrap or even what it is. When it gets to setting your clock, I'd say that you're in the 90th percentile. I have never questioned your abilities to learn. That's always been you. Quite frankly, my wife does that also. She says "I'm not smart enough to do that!" but if there's no one around to ask, she gets it done alone. I'm pretty sure you've been a survivor all your life and you don't need taught very much. You, just like all of us, need a little reminder and guidance from time to time. I'm pretty sure that there haven't been many things in your life that you decided you could do, that you didn't figure out a way to do. :notworthy:
oh gosh, oh golly, oh gee…..i'm blushing to all get out…… you are so supportive and encouraging….I love coming here….jeesh, only took three days to resolve this!!!! and it's fun, it's so much fun !!! really, I learn stuff…I usually can't remember, but I just wrote down in a little notebook I save now about the clock and the time…. gosh ….i sent the combo fix to the recycle bin before I did the other stuff….. the ATF program is still on my desktop, but the other program has disappeared….so I guess it did what it was supposed to do huh??? my avg scan was good, just tracking cookies ….i got rid of mozilla. I cleared up 19. something bytes or KB of space…that's good. I thank you so much Thomas, you are such a prince among men….You are simply the bestest tech ever… (well, You and Tallin and Abydos !!!!)…… such generosity of heart and kindness is very hard to find in the world now-a-days, believe me, I know. I so appreciate your help and knowledge and expertise and it is such a comfort knowing you are always here and if I get into trouble, you are just a click away. Thanks so much sweetie……. I hope that Santa was very very good to you last year and that cupid is going to be tossing your sauce gourment style……. you deserve the very best of everything…ok….i'm good to go….. I'm going to try to find Tallin to set me up on a maintenance schedule. I think I can handle more than I thought and once you know the places to go and things to click on, it's easy as pie. Thanks again sweetie and brightest blessings to you and your whole family!!!!!! mmmmwwwuuuuuhhhh, big smacker kiss on the cheek and ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((big hug))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) your forever indebted friend, candice For Tom and Abydos, who encourage me to try, to grow, to achieve: what spell was cast those omens i now ignore i so want to lay down this eternal darkness like a stone like a veil 'oer all i see… reverse this spell lift this veil the way the wind softly catches spray off the wave gently kissing each droplet aloft reverse this spell remove the walls I myself have erected hold me in the air apart from the teeming ocean of despair reverse this spell and let my glittering dance through the cyber air now commence!!!!!
Candice, Thanks for the poem. :notworthy: If things seem to be working alright malware wise, I need to close this thread so you can get on with it in the Tech forums. Please give me the OK to close.
yeppers…..no trojans have popped up all night long…… thanks again Thomas……. exit players…..let this curtain drop….. take a bow Thomas….. as I applaud you with a hearty "BRAVO!"
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI