Dear all,
After I installed my new computer last year, I removed the hard disk from the old one, mounted it in a sleeve and connected it up via a USB link to the new one, primarily to use as a backup disk. It has been working well up to now. But for some reason, it now seems to be accessible; this possibly because the power cable was partially pulled out at some stage. Whatever, I now get an error message "drive F is inaccessible, file or directory may be corrupt.".
First question: is there any way to access the files on this disk?
Second question: even if I can't, it's the disk itself usable, if I reformat it?
Third question: I ran an evaluative edition or Disk Internals' NTFS recovery programme, which seemed to indicate that the answer to question one was yes, but only if I bought their expensive program. But in so doing, the program seems to have changed various extensions on some of my graphic files on other disks. For instance, the TIFF files now read "Photoshop.TIFFFile10", although JPEG files don't seem to have been altered. This does not seem to affect the capability of opening these files and working on them, but why has this happened , are there any bad effects and can/should I change this?
Best regards, Lyndon
Have you got another computer? If so you can test the external HD to see if it works?
Another suggest is to download and run HDTune 3.50. If the HD is clear of issues you can reformat it and use it for backups using Ghost or Acronis image software. Suggest you google for links to these.
Did you thoroughly check the USB cable for damage?
Regarding the third question, another volunteer will come by to reply to it as I have had no esxperience with Disk Internals' NTFS recovery programme.
Dear Tallin,
Many thanks for your reply. I have hooked up the disk drive to another computer, but unfortunately with the exactly the same results, the same error message. It would seem therefore the fault is in the disk drive.
Before I continue with your suggestion by downloading HDtune, I'd like to know if there's first any way of recovering some of the files on this disk drive, which are original files not backups. By coincidence, I have received a flyer in the mail, referring to Iolo's "Search and Recovery 5" programme, which claims "Search and Recovery's powerful, easy-to-use interface recovers data even after emptying the Recycle Bin, formatting or re-partitioning drives, reinstalling applications and after the worst PC disasters". It goes on to say, "even recovers from malfunctioning, damaged, formatted and repartitioned drives and devices." Do you have any knowledge of this program and its efficacy?
Thanks in anticipation for your reply,
Best regards, openacres
First question: is there any way to access the files on this disk?
My recommendation would be to follow tallin's suggestion and download HDTune 3.50, click here to download.
After the download…..
Please follow these directions.
Click on Start > All Programs > HD Tune Pro > HD Tune Pro
Then click Ok .
( HD Tune Pro 3.50 - Hard Disk Utility (trial version) will now start.
Select the Info tab, this will show all Hard Disks currently recognized by the system.
Please let us know if your External Hard Disk is listed, so that we can continue with our diagnosis.
Second question: even if I can't, it's the disk itself usable, if I reformat it?
This question is yet to be determined by tests.( re: Question 1)
Third question: I ran an evaluative edition or Disk Internals' NTFS recovery programme, which seemed to indicate that the answer to question one was yes, but only if I bought their expensive program. But in so doing, the program seems to have changed various extensions on some of my graphic files on other disks. For instance, the TIFF files now read "Photoshop.TIFFFile10", although JPEG files don't seem to have been altered. This does not seem to affect the capability of opening these files and working on them, but why has this happened , are there any bad effects and can/should I change this?
"DiskInternals is a brand of relatively unknown and untested utilities that "play on the respected name of SysInternals"
We don't recommend or endorse free or paid products that we have not thoroughly reviewed.
Many thanks for your reply. I have hooked up the disk drive to another computer, but unfortunately with the exactly the same results, the same error message. It would seem therefore the fault is in the disk drive.
Before I continue with your suggestion by downloading HDtune, I'd like to know if there's first any way of recovering some of the files on this disk drive, which are original files not backups. By coincidence, I have received a flyer in the mail, referring to Iolo's "Search and Recovery 5" programme, which claims "Search and Recovery's powerful, easy-to-use interface recovers data even after emptying the Recycle Bin, formatting or re-partitioning drives, reinstalling applications and after the worst PC disasters". It goes on to say, "even recovers from malfunctioning, damaged, formatted and repartitioned drives and devices." Do you have any knowledge of this program and its efficacy?
Thanks in anticipation for your reply,
Best regards, openacres
Hi, and my apologies for being late in replying to your last post.
As you state that your disk has proven faulty by testing it on another computer, I would not run HDTune 3.50 as it will put stress on the HD and that is not the preferred choice now.
I have used Recuva twice with good success on clients computers in much the same spot you are finding yourself in with your faulty external HD, so I would now suggest you download and install it and follow exactly what is stated to attempt recovery. More information here also. Please read and become familiar with the software before using it.
I have had no experience nor was I aware of Iolo's "Search and Recovery 5" programme, so am unable to comment on it.
Okay world, let's hear it for Tallin, and his "Recuva" program! I certainly managed to recover virtually all the files that I wanted to resurrect from the faulty disk and which are now transferred to safekeeping. It took about an hour and a half to scan the approximately 74GB of files (total of 50,154 in total) the faulty disk, but it came good in the end. And get this, world, the program is free! It does invite you to make a donation, which I certainly will be doing.
Remaining question: can this disk be resurrected, so that it can resume its appointed task of being a backup medium? The "Recuva” program does allow for a totally secure deletion of all files; can I do that, merely re-format afterwards?
Very Best regards and thanks,
Lyndon
That is what I wanted to read, your success with Recuva.
Remaining question: can this disk be resurrected, so that it can resume its appointed task of being a backup medium? The "Recuva" program does allow for a totally secure deletion of all files; can I do that, merely re-format afterwards?
I would not press my luck with the HD in question, please consider buying a new one of your choice. They are relatively cheap, so don't be tempted to press that good luck.
Suggestion: Now you have all the files off the HD that you wanted, you can now do that test. So, download and install HDTune 3.50 and run it. Let us know the result, I would be most interested. Do not use the faulty HD for anything else as mentioned above.
I would like you to consider image backup software on the NEW HD I have suggested you purchase. I run both Acronis and Ghost Software, they are both a great investment for you to look at. They are not free, but as stated a mandatory requirement in my terms to alleviate stress if your HD fails. Don't necessarily buy from the links I gave above, ask around at IT shops for a bargain price as both the links above are not the latest out, they are however the versions I am using and maybe a little more reasonable to purchase at this time.
Dear Tallin,
Many thanks for your good advice to date (and, I hope, to come!). I have downloaded HD Tune Pro and run all the tests that I could (some wouldn't run, because the disk apparently cannot be written to at the moment. Such results that I could get are contained as under: –
HD Tune Pro: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 Information
Firmware version :
Serial number :
Capacity : 74.5 GB (~80.0 GB)
Buffer size : n/a
Standard :
Supported mode :
Current mode :
S.M.A.R.T : no
48-bit Address : no
Read Look-Ahead : no
Write Cache : no
Host Protected Area : no
Device Configuration Overlay : no
Firmware Upgradable : no
Automatic Acoustic Management: no
Power Management : no
Advanced Power Management : no
Interface Power Management : no
Power-up in Standby : no
Security Mode : no
Native Command Queuing (NCQ) : no
Volume : (F:)
Capacity : 76308 MB
Free :
Usage :
File system :
Serial :
HD Tune Pro: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 Benchmark
Read transfer rate
Transfer Rate Minimum : 16.0 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 30.4 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 29.6 MB/sec
Access Time : 14.0 ms
Burst Rate : 25.3 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 9.4%
HD Tune Pro: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 Error Scan
Scanned data : 76288 MB
Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
Elapsed Time : 44:08
HD Tune Pro: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 Folder Usage
F:\ 0
HD Tune Pro: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 Random Access
Read test
Transfer size
operations / sec avg. access time avg. speed
512 bytes 72 IOPS 13 ms 0.035 MB/s
4 KB 71 IOPS 13 ms 0.279 MB/s
64 KB 62 IOPS 16 ms 3.888 MB/s
1 MB 15 IOPS 62 ms 15.993 MB/s
Random 24 IOPS 40 ms 12.195 MB/s
I did get some screen grabs of the test results, but unfortunately I cannot easily find a way to put these into this reply. Should you need them and can tell me how to upload them, they are your's!
I take your point about not trusting this hard disk again, but there are no free meals in this house and I would like to have it working again, if only as a backup to a backup!
All Best regards,
Open acres
Good morning to you openacres,
I read your results clearly, but still I could and will only advise you not to rely on the HD in question. In my opinion, it is just not worth the risk at all.
Other volunteers may come by to voice their opinions of your request to use it, but for me it would be a no no. What was the temperature of the HD during the test? You would see that at the top when first opening HDTune. I just opened it here on this PC and my temp is 35C.
Let us see what others say, but I again caution you not to use it.
kind regards,
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI