Hello,
I recently had to reinstall windows xp because of a hard disk error. The black boot screen said that It could not access a needed file. I put in my xp cd for my gateway laptop and reinstalled windows, and selected the option to keep the files on my computer in C/MyBackup. I havent attempted to restore the files yet, but it has place my computer in the condition without drivers etc, so I am working on reinstalling them.
my question is in the lower right corner it says that my a prefetch file in C/Windows is corrupt, would i run chkdsk to fix this? I still get the blue screen of death.
I am not able to access the internet as well but I believe I need to turn on the wireless zero configuration, because it is not detecting any wireless conections.
The resolution is bad to, would restoring my files repair these problems?
Thanks! Brian
Depending upon how far along you are with installing the machine's drivers, Drivers alone could explain your present situation.
Go get the "Chipset Drivers" from the machine's manufacture's site.
So we really need some additional information.
Consider the guidance model posted here.
Ooops. Looks like Paws is already here. I'll leave this anyway.
Doug
Hi fellas, yes its the same machine as the one Tomk helped me with. He helped great with the malware. I think we had some hard drive problems though before that. We were still getting the blue screen of death so I decided to reinstall inwodws xp, Now I am not able to boot into my computer on safe mode, nothing. So I am working on trying to get in without losing my files. But if I am not able to do that I guess I will have to reformat the hard drive from the gateway xp cd although with that option it says I would lose my files. Know any way I would be able to boot up without losing my files? I would like to boot up long enough to copy my "documents and settings" file onto a flash drive then restore them once I reformat the hard drive through the windows xp cd.
Even after reinstalling windows the simple way where I can save my files I receive a "SMART failure detected/predicted on " and then it gives SD65437 somethig like that S number which is the hard drive I believe. and tells me to press F1. Then it wont start up properlly.
Do you have a second computer, into which you could install the HD as Slave for purpose of Copy/Paste retrieving your Documents?
Have you ever used a bootable Linux CD, such as Barts PE? <– with this you could perform the Copy/Paste on the same machine, though I am not sure if you can use USB flash drive with Barts PE. We can investigate depending upon which route you decide to take.
Doug
Thanks I will look into buying a new hd. ALso my wifes computer is a labtop and has the screen off the hinges and the screen doesnt work now know how much it would cost to replace it?
I'm not trying to be "smart" with you, but the short answer is that it is almost always….
Too Much!
Several of our Techs could do the job in a couple of hours or less, if it was sitting in front of them on their workbench.
It is not something that we would ordinarily want to pursue as a Forum assisted repair.
Just opening up the case and disassembling the components can be nightmare of screws and clips and spacers and connectors that will all have to be put back together. – and we haven't even got to the component replacement yet!
Depending upon what brand and model, the physical case will be quite different, therefore making it harder or easier depending upon what laptop you actually own. I have only shopped for a laptop display replacement a few times and have seen prices in the $300 - $700 range just for the replacement part. Don't know what they are thinking when new machine prices are dropping all the time. They probably do not believe that many folks will actually repair a laptop if it involves replacing a display panel.
If you do decide to launch a self-repair of your wife's laptop, one of our Techs "might" decide to provide some information and resources.
But as to the actual repair work, with you doing the work, the result would be your own responsibility.
Sometimes you can get detailed information from folks who have done that procedure multiple times.
For instance, if it is a Dell laptop, go to the Dell forum and read around a little bit until you are ready to ask your question or until you identify someone who is reliably posting about having completed the repair enough times to cause you to have confidence.
I would certainly take it to a local repair shop and get an estimate over the counter without leaving the machine and without incurring a fee for estimate. If they offer a price that would get you up and running for less than buying a new laptop, then consider it.
But you would still have an older machine that had been repaired, and probably a very limited warranty.
Best Regards
PXE-E61: Media test Failure, Check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.
Hi
Those two lines quoted are for Networking. Telling the PC on boot that it should look for network instructions upon booting. Finding none, you will recieve those two errors.
Check your BIOS for boot-order. Ensure that:
HD is placed first.
CD-ROM / DVD is placed second
Floppy (if present) is placed third.
Anything else should be disabled for the time being.
Check that Boot on / from LAN is disabled, if enabled, change to disabled.
If that doesn't work. Usually resetting BIOS to default or optimal settings will correct the above errors.
At least its worth a try before you go purchase a new HD.
Hi there,
I was able to get my computer up and running, thanks it was the hard drive I went ahead and replaced the hard drive from another computer we had which the screen was messed up and used it on this one, now it works fine thank god.
I was wondering about windows zero configuration for wireless internet connection… I am able to get on the internet but have to go through this procedure each time I get on otherwise I cant get on wireless
Run -> type "services.msc" then I go down to WZC wireless zero config and press "start" Then I must go to view the wireless connections and press "change advanced settings" , then I click on "wireless networks" tab, and then click the "Use windows to configure my wireless network settings" and then I press OK, It is making me do this each time I restart my computer. It just is a nusiance for my wife or others who would use the computer. Is there a setting or box I am missing to apply these settings for good so that on each start up it will automatically detect wireless. Each restart WZC is not started and hence the "wireless network tab doesnt appear so I think it is something which needs to be set with the WZC?
Thanks, this is the best tech forum I have been on!
Brian"
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI