This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

IE Constantly Crashing On Vista

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I have a new laptop running Vista Home Premium. Almost from day one, I've had problems with IE. It stops responding and I have to restart it. Waiting for it to respond doesn't work. The problem may happen again almost immediately or may not happen for several hours or even a day so I haven't been able to find a common denominator. Norton is all up to date - regular full scans have turned up nothing but a few cookies.

I ran a hijack this scan and when Tomk replied, he had me run Kaspersky but no malware was found so he suggested I post in this forum. Here is the link to my original post. http://forums.whatthetech.com/IE_Constantl…ion_t99120.html


Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Hi nms1107. Have you contacted HP about this? A new laptop should not have problems. How are you connecting to the internet? Do you have a wireless Router or does your broadband modem support wireless? Have you tried connecting directly with a Ethernet cable? If you have a router, have you tried connecting to the modem (bypassing the router) directly with a Ethernet cable? Take the Laptop to a library or coffee shop and see if you can connect wirelessly there.
Hi Rich, No, I haven't contacted HP - it always involves so much red tape and I figured this would be a much timely fix to my problem. I am connecting via a wireless broadband modem. How are you connecting to the internet? Do you have a wireless Router or does your broadband modem support wireless? I have tried connecting directly with a Ethernet cable and I have the same issue. I have connected wirelessly in other locations but IE will still stop responding. Thanks Rich, nms1107
If the same thing happens in other locations, you've eliminated everything outside the computer. That leaves a new computer that is not working correctly. Your best bet is to contact HP and make them fix it or give you a new computer. This is the path I would take.

I can almost guarantee that they will want you to restore the computer to it's factory installed state, so before you contact them, back up your personal data.

If you don't have anything of consequence on it yet, then you can restore it to it's factory state now. If that fixes it then you can start customizing it again and check it after each significant step.

BOING! A thought just occurred to me. Try starting IE with no Addons. A shortcut is put in the All Programs Menu in the System Tools folder (All Programs, Accessories, System Tools) when Internet Explorer 7 is installed.

Above taken from here: http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archi…4/02/88876.aspx

Try it that way for awhile and see what happens.
That worked Rich! Woohooooooooooo!!!! I looked at the link you have below and it says to start IE in 'normal mode then re-enable the add-ons one at a time, testing as you go, to work out what which product is causing a problem'. Can you explain exactly how I do that as I know I need at least some addons (activex, etc). Thanks!
Hmmm, lots of things listed that I have no idead of what they are. Any idea of which are essential or necessary? Or should I just try re-adding them all one by one?
IE is no longer 'not responding' but now I'm having problems with Adobe Flash Player Installer. When I open up web sites, I get the message that it wants to install but when I click to allow it, it just keeps showing me the same Windows asks me for permission and I click install but I then again get the original message of 'this website wants to install Adobe Flash Player'. At one point I got an error message of "Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system." I tried to research that but all I came up with was in reference to Moxilla, not IE. Any thoughts?
Did you go through and re-enable your Addons and find the one causing the problem? It's quite possible one you've disabled is causing the Adobe problem. Stick with the original problem until it's resolved, then if necessary, open a new thread to work on the other.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI