Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE Constantly Crashing On Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nms1107

nms1107

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

I have a new laptop running Vista Home Premium. Almost from day one, I've had problems with IE. It stops responding and I have to restart it. Waiting for it to respond doesn't work. The problem may happen again almost immediately or may not happen for several hours or even a day so I haven't been able to find a common denominator. Norton is all up to date - regular full scans have turned up nothing but a few cookies.

I ran a hijack this scan and when Tomk replied, he had me run Kaspersky but no malware was found so he suggested I post in this forum. Here is the link to my original post. http://forums.whatth...ion_t99120.html

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hi nms1107. Have you contacted HP about this? A new laptop should not have problems. How are you connecting to the internet? Do you have a wireless Router or does your broadband modem support wireless? Have you tried connecting directly with a Ethernet cable? If you have a router, have you tried connecting to the modem (bypassing the router) directly with a Ethernet cable? Take the Laptop to a library or coffee shop and see if you can connect wirelessly there.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 nms1107

nms1107

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi Rich, No, I haven't contacted HP - it always involves so much red tape and I figured this would be a much timely fix to my problem. I am connecting via a wireless broadband modem. How are you connecting to the internet? Do you have a wireless Router or does your broadband modem support wireless? I have tried connecting directly with a Ethernet cable and I have the same issue. I have connected wirelessly in other locations but IE will still stop responding. Thanks Rich, nms1107

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

If the same thing happens in other locations, you've eliminated everything outside the computer. That leaves a new computer that is not working correctly. Your best bet is to contact HP and make them fix it or give you a new computer. This is the path I would take.

I can almost guarantee that they will want you to restore the computer to it's factory installed state, so before you contact them, back up your personal data.

If you don't have anything of consequence on it yet, then you can restore it to it's factory state now. If that fixes it then you can start customizing it again and check it after each significant step.

BOING! A thought just occurred to me. Try starting IE with no Addons. A shortcut is put in the All Programs Menu in the System Tools folder (All Programs, Accessories, System Tools) when Internet Explorer 7 is installed.

Above taken from here: http://msmvps.com/bl...4/02/88876.aspx

Try it that way for awhile and see what happens.

Rich

#5 nms1107

nms1107

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

That worked Rich! Woohooooooooooo!!!! I looked at the link you have below and it says to start IE in 'normal mode then re-enable the add-ons one at a time, testing as you go, to work out what which product is causing a problem'. Can you explain exactly how I do that as I know I need at least some addons (activex, etc). Thanks!

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

I believe you click on Tools then Manage Add-ons.

See here: http://browsers.abou...ie7addons_5.htm

Rich

#7 nms1107

nms1107

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

Hmmm, lots of things listed that I have no idead of what they are. Any idea of which are essential or necessary? Or should I just try re-adding them all one by one?

#8 nms1107

nms1107

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

IE is no longer 'not responding' but now I'm having problems with Adobe Flash Player Installer. When I open up web sites, I get the message that it wants to install but when I click to allow it, it just keeps showing me the same Windows asks me for permission and I click install but I then again get the original message of 'this website wants to install Adobe Flash Player'. At one point I got an error message of "Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system." I tried to research that but all I came up with was in reference to Moxilla, not IE. Any thoughts?

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

Did you go through and re-enable your Addons and find the one causing the problem? It's quite possible one you've disabled is causing the Adobe problem. Stick with the original problem until it's resolved, then if necessary, open a new thread to work on the other.

Rich