This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Boot screen upon startup

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

How do I get rid of this screen upon start up? I'm afraid of changing anything in BOOT.INI. I'd like to just have the system startup in Windows normal mode (with using the f8 technique for alternative boot options (ie, safe mode). Thanks! Attached is the screen I get at the start:
If you edit boot.ini (make a backup first) and change the timeout value from 30 to 3 then that boot menu selection screen becomes an advantage and not a source of irritation.Right click on My Computer and select Properties
Click on the Advanced tab
Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button
Click on the Edit button
Notepad will open with the contents of boot.ini in it. Click on FiIle then Save as and save the file as "boot.bak". Include the double quotes to prevent Notepad from adding .txt to the end of the file name.

Now change the timeout= value from 30 to 3 then click on File / Save then close Notepad.

Now when you boot, that boot selection will only show for 3 seconds then automatically boot the default which is Windows XP. Leaving it at 3 seconds allows you to make use of the Recovery Console if you ever need it in the future. You could set it to 1 or even 1. If you set it to 0, it will boot directly to Windows XP but you will no longer have the ability to use the Recovery Console if needed.
Thanks. I already changed it to 3 seconds and while I still see that screen upon booting, it's not so much of a irritation, like you said. I guess I'll just leave it. I know I can probably get rid of the Recovery Console, but I figure I'll just leave it…no big deal I suppose.
Indeed, it is better to wait three more seconds. The Recovery Console is a very useful tool which can be vital for fixing a machine and retrieving important files and documents when the computer does not boot anymore. Especially with modern malware it is important to have this tool onboard and be able to still make important changes to your system without having to be able to boot into Windows itself.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI