Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

can't believe everything you read!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

http://www.pcpro.co....on-reviews.html

EDIT Dennis are having trouble with their servers at the moment.......the link does work....... but only sometimes..
I will post a more reliable link (if I can find one!)
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hey Paws,
Link worked for me. Here is a quote of the first few lines....

Peripherals manufacturer Belkin has admitted it paid people to write positive reviews of its products on Amazon.

The story came to light after The Daily Background blog spotted an advert on Amazon's Mechanical Turk service, seeking people to write positive reviews of a Belkin wireless hub.

Not only was the hired help paid $0.65 to write five-star reviews of the router, they were also instructed to "Mark any other negative reviews as 'not helpful' once you post yours."

The job was posted by Michael Bayard, who according to his LinkedIn profile, is (or at least, was) Belkin's business development representative. Bayard had apparently posted dozens of other similar requests for other Belkin products.

In a statement, Belkin admits that Bayard was paying for positive reviews, but claims it wasn't company policy.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hi Doug, Thanks for the info...I think Dennis had some of their servers down (for maintenance) at the time I posted.. I think they now been able to find the right size hammer to correct the faults! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 EloElwyn

EloElwyn

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

You have to be able to read through the reviews. I think with today's tech you can find 4-10 websites about the product you want to purchase. Then you can read and evaluate what is garbage post and what is a real review. Yes I agree it is hard, but if you research a bit and not impulse buy 99% of your purchases will come out fine.