hi, and thanks for reading.
I have an old laptop that I havent touched in years. I purchased a modem card so it would work with my wireless internet. IT works but it can't be any faster then dial up. I have a lynksys card.
the strength of the signal is pretty poor ranging from about 35-45%.
I was curious as to what causes the slow speed? the signal strength or the old system with a lack of memory?
I have another laptop that work fine with an internal modem and a lot more capacity but both are using about 50% of there space
thanks
just sara
Hi Sara,
The speed or your connection is hardly ever related to lack of memory and such. Are you sure you are connected to the right router; yours?
Also, try a wired connection to the router with your old laptop and check the speed then. If it still only dial-up speed it must be a problem with the old laptop.
Please let us know.
Regards,
John.
Hi John B.
thanks for your help
I don't think I can wire to the router. This lap does not have any phone jackie type connection points like my router. This computer used a 56k modem card.
I told ya it was old. LOL
Could it be it's just not made for hi speed?
thanks
just sara
Hi,
Again, if have a wireless network card which should support high speed your computer must be able to connect with high speed, as far as I know. Are you sure you have the latest drivers for the network card and are using the wireless network card only?
Can you try totally disabling the 56k modem so that you can be sure it is not interfering?
Regards,
John.
Hi John B
Not truly sure if i have the latest drivers. I do know my other computer works fine .
The modem cards are removable so there's is no interference between them.
Thanks
just sara
Since I get my hi speed through my cable company i uninstalled my the aol because i thought somehow they may conflict with each other. now i can't get online.
Is this the strangest thing ever?
just sara
Hi,
The grammar and build of that sentence is too wrong to be able to identify what you are exactly saying, but have you tried totally doing the setup again. You must have had some manual, quick setup guide or CD from your cable company on how to set up the network and if you go through that again, you should be good to go.
Also, tell me what ISP you have and what exact brand and type of router and/or modem.
Please let me know and go through your post again before posting
Regards,
John.
Sorry John B
It was a little too early to be coherent.
I use a linksys wireless g router and modem card.
My ISP is Time warner.
I have tried setting it up again, It works, it's just very slow.
The last thing I did was uninstall the aol because I no longer used that service. I thought that may have conflicted in some way.
but now I can't get online.
I'm sure I can get another AOL disk and be OK. This is just an old computer I was trying get up to speed. It's not a big deal if it can't be fixed.
Thanks
just sara
Hi again
Everything is fine now.
As I said in my prior post, when I uninstalled the AOL. I could not get back online.
I did not however restart my computer. When I rebooted the next time, I was able to get online and the speed is great.
thanks again
just sara
Hi just sara
Here's a tip for you..
Whenever you uninstall something its' a good idea to finish up by closing down your machine in he usual way, waiting 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then restating it.
It often "cures" a lot of things
Regards
(and well done on getting it fixed)
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI