This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Very Low Link Speed

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've got a Belkin N150 and my link speed is always 1 or 2Mb, no matter the signal strength.  It does work for the most part, but can be very slow.  I really only use it for a wireless connection for the cell phones in the house.

I happened to be at my neighbors house the other day and his wireless was unsecured and when I connected to it, my link speed was 65Mb.  With that type of disparity between rates, I figured that I must have done something wrong with my setup, or is it possible that having the wireless located too close to other equipment could cause this low of a link speed?

 

Thanks, Bob

 

Hi

Different folks have different network set ups, some use ADSL2 via copper wire, others may have a "cable" connection ( perhaps in association with their TV service) whilst others have Fibre Optics that generally are very much quicker than ADSL

 

If you are getting a 2 megabit per second Internet speed then this is considered to be quite a slow speed whereas 65Megabits per second is quite fast! 

 

However as with a lot of things the perception of Internet speed is often a relative (personal thing 

 

Some folks are quite happy with relatively modest speed. whilst others demand (and are prepared to pay for a fast service.)#

 

It might be wise to ask your Internet Service Provider to check your line and speed to see if you are getting the speed you are paying for….

 

Also your neighbour is taking a risk in having an unsecured network……. anyone in range of his wireless access point could download illegal stuff using his connection……. if that happened then the authorities might ask him some very searching and awkward questions….

Regards

paws

Paws,  Thanks for your response.  I have Comcast cable and the various speed tests that I have run recently with my "wired" computer show download speeds of 21Mb/s and upload speeds of 8Mb/s.  My 1-2Mb/s speeds are related to only my wireless Belkin N150.  When I look at my wireless connection on my phone (Android), I have normally good signal strength, but only 1-2Mb/s of link speed.  There are times when using my phone online down in my basement (still good signal strength) that sites/pages I'm trying to access seem to just time out and never load at all.  Other times pages load fairly well, but I've never seen a wireless connection speed greater than 1-2Mb/s.  I was just amazed when connected to my neighbors wireless and seeing that number of 65Mb/s and figured that I HAD to figure out why mine is so low.  I do realize that I'll never get more than the 21Mb/s I'm getting "wired" and certainly don't think I'd approach what my neighbor is getting, but I would think that I'd be able to get better than 1-2Mb/s thru my wireless connection.  There just has to be something that I'm missing here…

Bob

I would check the settings of the router to make sure the quality of service wasn't set to give out 2Mbps to every connected device. Or better yet, just reset the router to factory settings then connect your device back again, see if that helps.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI