Win XP Getting Low Memory Messages
37 min read
Windows XP Service Pack 2
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:
``````````````````````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
SonicStage Mastering Studio Audio Filter Custom Preset
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus
``````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:
``````````````````````````````
SpywareBlaster 4.1
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
HijackThis 2.0.2
CCleaner (remove only)
Java™ 6 Update 11
``````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent
``````````````````````````````
Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic sched.exe
Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avgnt.exe
Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avguard.exe
America Online 9.0a waol.exe
America Online 9.0a shellmon.exe
America Online 9.0a aolwbspd.exe
``````````````````````````````
DNS Vulnerability Check:
``````````````````````````````
GREAT! (Very random)
Scan completed in 44 seconds.
`````````End of Log```````````
It probably has to do with the extra products you have installed such as MalwareBytes. Just continue on with all the instructions I had provided earlier. Worrying about WHY it is saying it has multiple products installed, when it looks like it is telling the truth, and there are no problems otherwise is just going to be a waste of time. I don't see any point in pursuing that any longer.
Have you had any more virtual memory low errors?
No, no more virtual memory low errors but a LOT of lagging and freezing up.
Hi Coolcat,Since it was suggested, I've had my automatic updates set to "ON" and every day, this file tries to update but I get an error that it can't be updated at this time. What can I do about this? This is the name of the update. How important is this?
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Thanks
Without reading all the posts, who actually suggested you turn ON Windows Updates?
Please scroll down and read this Top Story for information concerning Windows Updates.
I have all my computer Windows Updates turned OFF, access Microsoft Updates once a month after the second Tuesday in the month, click on manual, then download and install what I want from the list.
I hope this is of help to you.
Keep us posted on your progress and thoughts.
kind regards,
Hi Coolcat,Since it was suggested, I've had my automatic updates set to "ON" and every day, this file tries to update but I get an error that it can't be updated at this time. What can I do about this? This is the name of the update. How important is this?
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Thanks
Without reading all the posts, who actually suggested you turn ON Windows Updates?
Please scroll down and read this Top Story for information concerning Windows Updates.
I have all my computer Windows Updates turned OFF, access Microsoft Updates once a month after the second Tuesday in the month, click on manual, then download and install what I want from the list.
I hope this is of help to you.
Keep us posted on your progress and thoughts.
kind regards,
Er, it was appleoddity who told me to turn on automatic updates.
Since it was suggested, I've had my automatic updates set to "ON" and every day, this file tries to update but I get an error that it can't be updated at this time. What can I do about this? This is the name of the update. How important is this?
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Thanks
Yeah, this is one of the most problematic windows updates I have ever seen. However, it came out at least a year ago and I haven't seen the problems with it in a long time. SO, I don't completely remember how to resolve the issue. However, I do KNOW, without a doubt that Avira causes one of these .NET Framework 1.1 updates to fail and cause your system to act up. I resolved this issue on some other threads quite a while ago.
So, the first thing I would suggest is turning off Avira while installing this update.
If it still fails, then it is probably just a matter of uninstalling the .NET framework and reinstalling it, then allowing the updates to continue as normal. This usually resolves the issue, however, sometimes there is a little bit more involved to get the .NET framework to reinstall. So, if you want to try this procedure, just go to add/remove programs, uninstall anything called Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (and any updates to 1.1). Reboot the computer. Then, go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en and download the installation package for .NET 1.1 and install it. If you get an error trying to install it, post back here with the error and I'll tell you how to get around that. If it installs successfully, revisit the windows update website and try the updates again.
I have been very busy CoolCat, and I need to re-read through your threads to work out any other issues. I just have not had the time to really dig into this thread again, and I apologize for that. Were you able to perform all the other suggestions I made quite a while ago successfully? Is the problem now that you are experiencing "locked" up programs? How often, and are there certain programs in particular causing issues? What do you do to resolve the issue?
To answer Tallin's question, the windows update was suggested in this user's malware removal thread, and previously posted information shows that it was not turned on, so I re-suggested it. Power users often shun windows updates, and suggest alternative means of keeping a computer up to date. However, it is my policy to make sure that any personal computer has automatic updates turned on, because 99% of the people I work with are not skilled enough to expect them to do anything different. With all the new security flaws, and improvements being introduced on a regular basis, and with it only being an extremely rare occasion that a windows update actually causes anyone any problems, I prefer to leave windows updates on. Anyone is welcome to leave updates on or off, but I know that if this is suggested as the "preferred" method that the vast majority of those same computers will NEVER receive an update. When it comes to server operating systems, I prefer to leave updates set to notify only. Servers are too mission critical and can not be rebooting in the middle of the night or having services go down due to the occasional update problem.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI