Hello all. The tech support malware team helped me in the past with this same Dell desktop and everything ran sweet!
(it's my granddaughters computer)
here is the issue now:
ran avast: found 3 or 4 trojans and moved to chest
ran spybot: found 2 malware and deleted
went to run avg antispyware, it was outdated so downloaded what I thought was an update, but found it is a package with antivirus on it now so I didn't install it.
installed windows defender instead: it found 1 malware and deleted it.
ran ccleaner: it couldn't scan one thing so I ignored it and it ran the rest of the way
rebooted: chkdsk came up. said the NTFS is dirty
after 15 or so minutes of sitting there I shut the computer off by the off button.
turned it back on and chkdsk came again and was really booking
went thru 154000 security "fixes" and stuck again.
shut the computer off again, turned it back on and it's doing it again.
I googled and found that this chkdsk is not a good sign so I come here for the EXPERT help!
I do not have any disks with this PC nor do I have any experience editing registries.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Terri
Sounds like a mess Terri. First of all, powering the PC off while chkdsk is running is a good way to corrupt data.
You've really got no choice at this point but to boot the machine up and let chkdsk finish. Hopefully, things will come out ok. If you have data on this drive that you need to keep, I recommend you use a third party boot disc (such as a Linux liveCD) to transfer some of that data to a flash drive or CD.
After chkdsk is performed and the system hopefully boots back up you need to run a surface scan with chkdsk which will take even longer. Click start -> run -> type 'chkdsk /r' and press ENTER. Accept the option to schedule a scan during the next reboot and reboot your computer. Let the chkdsk finish, I don't care how long it takes. Look for warnings about bad blocks/clusters. Afer this is done you need to head on over to the malware forum to have your computer cleaned again. It makes no sense for us here at this forum to try to fix a machine that could be infected with malware. First things first.
Sounds like a mess Terri. First of all, powering the PC off while chkdsk is running is a good way to corrupt data.
You've really got no choice at this point but to boot the machine up and let chkdsk finish. Hopefully, things will come out ok. If you have data on this drive that you need to keep, I recommend you use a third party boot disc (such as a Linux liveCD) to transfer some of that data to a flash drive or CD.
After chkdsk is performed and the system hopefully boots back up you need to run a surface scan with chkdsk which will take even longer. Click start -> run -> type 'chkdsk /r' and press ENTER. Accept the option to schedule a scan during the next reboot and reboot your computer. Let the chkdsk finish, I don't care how long it takes. Look for warnings about bad blocks/clusters. Afer this is done you need to head on over to the malware forum to have your computer cleaned again. It makes no sense for us here at this forum to try to fix a machine that could be infected with malware. First things first.
wow within a couple of minutes it finished and windows started up! woohoo!
going to run hijack this (which I also just installed, forgot to add that) and head to the malware forum. thanks again!
I need to learn patience
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI