Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Corrupted browser?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

Hi, I'm new here :wavey: . I am having a problem enabling Java in my browser. I've tried myriad potential solutions from the Java site, then hit on the bright idea of checking the browser on my husband's side(two users on this computer). When I went through his browser, I had no problems at all. Java is enabled, etc. Someone mentioned that my browser might be corrupted, which I believe, as I've had some problems accessing various sites. Only problem- I know the basics of using the computer, but that's it. I have no idea how I would "fix" my browser. I have WindowsXP Media edition, IE 7, and I have updated everything as it called for it. I run avg free, adaware, malwarebytes anti-malware. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Hi sinnead and welcome to the WTT Forums!

Try following these steps to enable Java and Javascripting:

Internet Explorer 7

To enable or disable Java:

1. From the Tools menu, or the Tools drop-down in the upper right, select Internet Options... .

2. Click the Programs tab.

3. Click Manage Add-ons.

4. Highlight Java Plug-in.

5. Under "Settings", click Disable.

6. Click OK, and then OK again.

To enable or disable java script:

1. From the Tools menu, or the Tools drop-down in the upper right, choose Internet Options... .

2. Click the Security tab.

3. Click Custom Level... .

4. Scroll to the "Scripting" section of the list. Click Disable or Enable.

5. Close and restart your browser.

If you do not have the Java plug in or those steps did not work and Java is still not enabled, you may want to try re-installing Java.

First you should uninstall Java, as well as all of your old version. To do, go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and let the list of all your programs load. Then scroll down to the J section (if the list is not alphabetized then look to the drop down box in the upper right of the window and select Sort by: Name) and for each instance of "Java™ X Update X" that you see (X represents a random number), click it once and then click the Remove button that comes up below it. Once you have uninstalled all of the Java™s, you can then install the latest version of Java by going to www.java.com and clicking the button called "Free Java Download", from there you can follow the instructions to install Java.

Hopefully that should fix your problem, if it doesn't, I'm sure others will come along to provide there assistance to you as well.

Also, in what way are you checking to see if Java is enabled or not, for instance is it a certain website that requires Java and is not working? Or is it something else? You should make sure it's not the site or something else unrelated to Java messing it up instead of Java itself.

Edited by Vectris, 28 December 2008 - 11:25 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#3 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

Actually, I've done all of that- twice over, but thank you for your speedy reply. Java showed as enabled, applets showed as enabled, but the browser refused to recognize any of it. From hubby's browser, it's all good. But no matter what I do, what instructions I follow, nothing worked for mine. So, for the interim, I've created a new user account for myself :) ! Hey, for this old lady, that's a big step, lol! Now, the only problem is transferring all my data over! I've been told to use one of those flash drives, but although I know what they are, and where to stick them, I know nothing beyond that!

#4 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

So, for the interim, I've created a new user account for myself :) ! Hey, for this old lady, that's a big step, lol! Now, the only problem is transferring all my data over! I've been told to use one of those flash drives, but although I know what they are, and where to stick them, I know nothing beyond that!

Creating new accounts does tend to solve errors like this, make sure to check that Java is working on the new account though. There may still be easier ways around the Java problem however. Also transfering old files to your new User can be a pain as well as the possibility of you losing or missing some files.

Here is how you would do it though, I suggest you wait a few days to delete the old account however, but if you wish to go ahead and copy files to the new one then here you go.

First, you actually do not need a Flash Drive (or External Drive) to transfer the information. As long as the account is on the same computer, you do not need to transport the information off of it, simply to a different part of it.

The main problem with this is that you have to know where all of the information that you want is, the largest folder with the most contents on most computers is "My Documents". To copy "My Documents" from user to the other, double click My Computer and go to C: Drive > Documents and Settings > YOUR OLD USERNAME and then inside your old username folder you should see My Documents. Right click it and choose Copy. Then go back to Documents and Settings and then go in the folder under your New Username. Right click a blank space in the folder and choose Paste, you will be prompted to overwrite the My Documents you already have in your new user, you should choose Yes, then all your files from the old user will be copied to the new.

You can repeat this process to find all of the information from your old user and copy it to your new. There is even a folder under each user for the Desktop. Once you have all of your information, you can delete the old user by going to Control Panel > User Accounts and selecting your old account and then choosing Delete Account.

Please be sure to wait for more help before deleting your old account, we wouldn't want you to of forgotten to copy something or for a another problem to occur on your new user before exploring all the possibilities.

Also, at this point, I suggest that you go to the HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal Board for a check up. I suggest you post a topic in there and wait to receive help from a Malware Volunteer. He will then guide you through removing any Malicious programs/files you may have that can also inhibit Java. Once you are given a clean bill of computer health, you can come back here and receive more tech support.

Edited by Vectris, 28 December 2008 - 11:50 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#5 sinnead

sinnead

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

Thank you so much! And yes, Java works under the new account. I won't even try what you suggested tonight! Much too tired. Old people need their sleep :lol: . I really appreciate all your help, though. And the simple language :D . I won't delete anything until I'm certain I have everything I need. All my business accounts are under the old one. Wouldn't do to lose any of that :o

#6 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

Hi :wavey:

Just laying down my 2-cent's...

I believe you could use the same procedure one normally
would use, when transeferring data from a corrupt user
profile to a new one.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

This method will let you copy a large portion of what you need.
But do make a check-up before deleting the old one, to make
sure everything you need is copied over.

And lets not forget :welcome: ;)

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde