Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problem with Office 2003 Installer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sauranan

sauranan

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

Yesterday I downloaded some photos (jpg) of our new granddaughter from my wife's T-Mobile phone. Afterwards I discovered two events:

1. There was a new "shared" folder "IME" on my desktop. I have tried everything I know or can look up to delete this folder but I cannot
change permissions or cancel the sharing to remove it.

2. Everytime I try to launch an application the Windows Office 2003 Installer tries to start. I can keep cancelling it until eventually my application loads
but it is excrutiatingly annoying. I had this problem before and believe (at my age it's tough to remember anything) that I resolved it by running "Repair"
from the Office 2003 setup options. I did it again but no luck.

It appears that the executable that starts is msiexec.exe

I originally posted this in VIP.Board VIP.Board Post and they advised me to post here.

I don't know if the two problems are related but would appreciate any help I could get.

Thank you &

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Attached Files

Edited by sauranan, 26 December 2008 - 10:09 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:12 AM

Hello,

Really sorry your post was missed during the holiday time. Many of our volunteers maybe on holidays during this period which would be the main reason.......Our apologies to you.

In any event, we would like to Posted Image to WTT.

Are you still needing help with your problem or have you found the answer to it.

Please post back if you need assistance and one of our helpers will answer your post.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 28 December 2008 - 04:13 AM.

#3 sauranan

sauranan

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

Thank you...no apologies necessary. I was able to delete the IME folder which was apparently some kind of foreign language addon for Office. I used Take Control which worked like a charm. I still have the very pesky Win Installer popping up whenever I try to perform almost any new action like start an application or right click an icon in my taskbar. Would appreciate any help.

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hi, Glad you were able to solve at least one of the problems, :scratch: I do not know the answer, but now this topic is at the top of the list as it were, other really fine techies will reply when they awake I hope. Have a great 2009..... Best regards,

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hi sauranan

It appears that Broni over at Geek2Go is helping you with this problem.
It is usually best to stay with one single line of problem solving until completed.
We hope you get the matter resolved successfully.

If you complete your work in that other Forum and still need additional assistance, please let us know.
It will help if you provide a link to any completed or work in progress.
For instance, your work in progress is currently at: http://www.geekstogo...er-t222212.html

Best Regards,
Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 sauranan

sauranan

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

We left that discussion with the only solution being a removal and reinstallation of Office 2003. This is the link to the help I received in that forum Win Installer Issue.

This was the last response:

"If you have Office CD, I'd simply reinstall the thing.
IMPORTANT! After you uninstall Office through Add\Remove, make sure, you manually delete Office folder from Program Files."

I was hoping to avoid that. I am sure there is a registry or service issue that is causing this and was hoping to find the answer here.

If you all think reinstallation is the only solution please let me know.

Best regards,

Edited by sauranan, 28 December 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

Office 2003 does function in Vista, but since you are reportedly using a Vista Ultimate 64 bit version there may be additional Driver issues. Come to think of it, the camera software may have had a negative influence in how they call upon drivers on your machine. Is the Camera software rated Vista compatible? Did you install the Camera software using Right-Click - Run as Administrator to get around UAC? When you installed MS Office 2003, I presume you did use the Right-Click - Run As Administrator? If not, uninstall and reinstall using that step to give elevated privilege for installation. I've read a few threads about similar issues with Vista and Office 2003 during the time you've been over working with Broni. None have given any clear and unambiguous guidance. You've made good progress with Broni, and I would certainly support continuing your work with Broni. At the least, give Broni a link to this Thread so that all can stay current. Broni is also welcome to participate in this Thread as necessary. Best Regards, Doug

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

sauranan, You did not specifically answer Broni's question about whether IME executables appear in your MSCONFIG. Do they? Thanks, Doug

#9 sauranan

sauranan

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

Hi Doug, There are no IME executables in MSconfig or anywhere on my machine. I didn't expect or see any software on the T-Mobile phone that held the photos. It appeared to act as any flash drive and I just copied the photos. I did not see the IME folder (now deleted) appear but the photos were the only unusual thing I did that morning. I don't have a problem reinstalling Office but could use some help in making sure I get my Outlook settings restored after reinstallation without having two *.pst files in play. If you have recommendations for backup, they would be appreciated. Thanks.

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hi Sauranan,

Creating the backup, (also known as "exporting") is fairly straight forward, though is a procedure that many folks are hesitant about, especially before they have successfully walked through the process.

Here's a step-by-step, with illustrations:
http://www.vista4beg...r-Outlook-Inbox
________________---

But first...
You are definitely using Outlook and not the Vista Mail application?

If so, then carry on.

Uninstall/reinstall can also seem like a bit much, but is often the best way to resolve any application program problems that may have cropped up.

Thanks for replying with the specific answers above.

I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you when you have completed your work.
Hopefully the problem will have been resolved.
If not, we can take another run at it.

Doug

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 sauranan

sauranan

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Doug. My main concern is restoring the backup.pst. I know how to import it after I reinstall but want to make sure it overwrites the blank outlook.pst that will be installed. I just don't want two inboxes etc. Will this procedure also save my email account settings or do I have to reenter all the info?

#12 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:10 AM

The linked procedure will restore:
e-mail messages, your contacts, calendar, tasks and notes.

You should "write down with pencil and paper"
such Account information as:
User name
Password
POP information - (mail.yourISP.com)
SMTP information - (SMTP.yourISP.com)

Advanced Port Settings
Incoming server (POP3) - (often is port 110 but yours may be different)
Outgoind server (SMTP) - (often is port 2525 but yours may be different)

and any checkmarked boxes appropriate to the ISP that you use.
For instance
Whether or not outgoing (SMTP) messages require authenticaton (or not)
Secure Password Authentication (or not)
Server requirements for encrypted connection (or not)
Preference for leaving a copy of message on your server for a period of days (or not)

You can view and write down all of the above Account information now before your uninstall/reinstall
Open Outlook
GoTo Tools - Email Accounts -View or Change existing email accounts - next - Change (BUT Don't make any changes)
Then just walk through all of the Tabs and panels to write down the present settings.
Otherwise, if you don't do this "write it down" step, you may have to contact your ISP for assistance with setting up the Account Settings.

Best Regards

#13 sauranan

sauranan

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

Well things have gone from bad to worse.

I uninstalled Office 2003, removed all remaining folders and used Microsoft Uninstall Cleanup. Reinstalled and got several errors at the end all having to do with some OBDC files.

The result:
Outlook will not start
Word claims I do not have sufficient or correct privilege to run
Excel seems ok.

The Win Installer popup returned when I reinstalled.

I suspected this was a virus problem when I ran Security Task Manager and it said that the Anti-Virus sites were blocked. Turned out they weren't so I decided to run the Kapersky online scan. This required that I disable my internal/pc Kapersky. Bottom line I couldn't get the online scan to run.

I am not going to try reinstalling Office again because I am sure it will fail and for the time being the Win Installer popup is gone.

I am going to run through all the Malware tests again.
- Malwarebyte found one infected file

C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Desktopicon\eBayShortcuts.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

- Kapersky currently running - No threat detected
- RegTool run 341 errors corrected

Appreciate any ideas you might have.

Edited by sauranan, 31 December 2008 - 11:17 AM.

#14 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hi Sauranan,

There appears to be a minor flurry of complaints about ODBC drivers that may or may not be required for running MS Office applications on a Vista 64 bit operating system.

Reinstalled and got several errors at the end all having to do with some OBDC files.

The "specific" error message(s) are important.
Without them, we may be "shooting in the dark".
____________________-

Here are three locations where folks struggling with the problem found a solution for "their" problem.
Their solution may not be relevant to your own. (We need your specific error message)
http://www.vistax64....-vista-x64.html
http://msmvps.com/bl.../11/897398.aspx
http://www.experts-e...Q_22398393.html

I'll include the links for your information only.
I am not recommending that you "take action" on the linked recommendation, or even that the information is relevant to your situation.

However, you may spot a similarity between the posted problems and your own.
Please let us know.

Best Regards

#15 sauranan

sauranan

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

Sorry I haven't posted this sooner especially with the great help I received here. My Office 2003 install fails but the Win Installer problem returns. When I uninstall, even though it is not working, the Win Install problem goes away. I have been surviving with Open Office which actually works very nicely but I want my Outlook back. I have posted two attachments showing all the various error messages I get. including the Win Install (second attachment). When trying to reinstall, I get the 1919 error at the very end of the install. When I use "ignore" the install completes but.... Outlook won't start at all (Missing MAPI32.dll) Word gives me a macro warning and when I cancel out of that gives me a message saying it wasn't installed for this user and I don't have the permissions. When I cancel that Word quits. Excel seems ok. I don't remember where the Error 25091 comes in. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files