This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Internet spikes

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi whatthetech.com. Thank you for taking your time to read through this, now I'll get straight to the point.

Recently I've been having these internet spikes, I've been thinking its either my computer having some sort of spyware, or my laptop being used by my parents causing some internet issues. It's fairly annoying because I play games and the speed and time that the lag conceptually consumes over the time is a huge loss for me. Every five to ten minutes I experience a disconnection or a spike-like lag for three to five seconds in duration. The pings are fine, I've reformatted several times (Three to be exact), this is a perfectly genuine version of windows etc. Ive also updated my firmware, cleared my logs in terms of my modem, disconnected my modem for a night and restarted my computer several times as well. Here is my DXDiag : http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq86/Saruiyo/dxdiag.jpg

I've also attempted to run ccleaner from ccleaner.com with full registry and temp file cleanups, still no cigar. Not to mention I've reinstalled and checked for correct drivers in my graphics, network/LAN drivers, etc. Programs running at times are MSN Live Messenger, Ventrilo, etc. The games I'm playing aren't even that high in graphics for I am running on a 4GB RAM computer with an nVidia 8800 GT; and hundreds of GB left for more files. Also; I've disabled all firewalls windows had to offer including the nVidia one it recommends to install when installing the networking drivers. I have no antivirus and it's a computer on its self. My laptop's internet is even turned off when I've tested this and I've honestly tried everything to my software and hardware knowledge and this problem just won't go away. Please; I need your help!

EDIT : Also; here is the speedtest. http://www.speedtest.net/result/376461294.png
:welcome: Saru, Glad to see you here, and what a concise first post with all the relevant information at our finger tips. Well done. I do not have a good answer for you, except to ask if you have contacted your ISP telling them of this internet spike problem therefore requesting them to check your line their end. Others will come by with their ideas, but until then, may I wish you a very Happy Festive Season. Best regards, :thumbup:
Saru, Yes, we here in Australia do celebrate Christmas as this is a Christian Country to be sure. I hope you get your internet problem under control, and by the way, that is a great system you have there, I forgot to compliment you on it in my earlier post. All the best and don't hesitate to post back if need be. Cheers,
Thank you~ I've just contacted my ISP. No luck; they tried refreshing my signals and told me to unplug and replug my modem. No luck either. Now trying direct connection bypassing router.
Saru,

When you unplugged your router, did you wait at least 30 seconds before you connected it again. Did you also reboot your computer after plugging it in again. Modem/routers are touchy things, it would be worth a try to wait longer in between unplugging and connecting for all to clear.

You could try this also
  • Start
  • run
  • type 'cmd' without the quotes
  • ipconfig /flushdns (noting the space between the g /)
  • Enter
  • Wait and let it flush your DNS
  • type 'exit' without the quotes
See if that helps you.

We will conquer this I hope.

Best regards,
Yes, I have tried that. Thank you. Looks like its a problem with the router. My direct connection w/ my router bypassed is fine. Thank you for the information. I will try making something convenient for alternating with my bypass and my router. I guess we can consider this solved. Thanks for your help, and Merry Christmas again. -Saru
That is in a way good news, at least we know who caused us grief. :huh: Beiing Christmas time or Holiday time for you, perhaps someone close will give you a new Router. :unsure: Good luck Saru, Cheers,
Hi Saru I am fairly certain that the culprit causing lag spikes is your Ventrilo program. It is known to cause this behavior along with unreasonable CPU spikes. Try disable it for a period of time, just to confirm wether or not this is the case in your situation. Regards and happy Christmas :wavey: Abydos
Oh shoot, looks like I replugged my router for a temporary time for my mother to use for her buisness and it still spikes, so I bypassed it again and now my modem does too! I've even called COX in desperate need of help and even they couldnt do anything. They said all they could do was refresh the signals; in which they did. I unplugged and resetted both router and modem about 8 times each by that time and still no luck. I'm currently running on my modem with my router bypassed and no luck. Really getting on my nerves.

As for ventrilo I've been using it for around three to four years, this problem just came about recently. It was happening when I was running on Windows Vista Ultimate, then it stopped; in which I forget how it happened. If not mistaken, it was automatically fixed. Now after I tried downgrading to XP Professional SP2, it started again, and no luck so far. I've tried going back to Vista, doesn't help. I've asked my friend for some help, he said it could be either the modem, my motherboard driver, my networking driver, or my networking card. Though he isn't professional I'm still looking forward to some help. He's only about as tech savvy as me.

Thanks in advanced.
-Saru

Oh and by the way, my Hijackthis log I was reccommended to run by my best friend Google.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:11:20 PM, on 12/23/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgfws8.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgam.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 Firewall (avgfws8) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgfws8.exe
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe


Note : I just recently bought and installed AVG 8 Internet Security, and scanned. Still no help after removing a few trackers it found to be harmful. Not causing any lag at all, still the same-old spike.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI