This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Horrible Ping Spikes

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello My name is Logan, 1 year ago I got my computer which can more then handle some of the games I play, I also have 15mb download (supposably) and 1mb upload from Earthlink.

And 1 month ago I have been getting humongous ping and slow internet that makes gaming impossible at times, and sometimes it is ok. Usually in the morning I can play without ping over 150.

Sometimes in the day I can run less then 100 but then I get up to 600 ping strikes. On normal servers I used to get 60.

If any help is possible, would be appreciated.

(More info)

 

Also I have Malwarebytes anti malware, Advanced system care pro edition, Avg, and Windows firewall

I also have Windows 7.

The scans showed only some registry files that didn't help at all.

This happens on all games

I have a Belkin b.9c router. (Cuz I dont think 2 computers can plug into my modem)

Modem is a reliable Surfboard SB50101u

 

Here is a before and after ping I managed to catch:

  [external image: 3208241926.png]
[external image: 91359802.png]

 

The Good speedtest one was when the Ping Spike jumped back down to above normal. I normally should have about 40-50 ping.

 

Anyhelp would again be appreciated

 

 

Also I have Malwarebytes anti malware, Advanced system care pro edition, Avg, and Windows firewall


When did you install Advanced System Care? and why?
Have you made any changes to the Registry whilst using any automated tool (or manually)?
Regards
paws

 

Also I have Malwarebytes anti malware, Advanced system care pro edition, Avg, and Windows firewall


When did you install Advanced System Care? and why?
Have you made any changes to the Registry whilst using any automated tool (or manually)?
Regards
paws

 

 

I had auto care for a long time, I recently got the new 8 version from the 7 about 2 months ago.

The only registry editing I did was for one of my games because I have to change my serial key sometimes.

 

I had auto care for a long time

Can you tell me what this is?

 

Does the Advance System Care pro edition include an anti virus running resident in memory?

If so there will probably be a conflict between it and AVG which also has an antivirus component running resident in memory.

Regards

paws
 

 

 

I had auto care for a long time

Can you tell me what this is?

 

Does the Advance System Care pro edition include an anti virus running resident in memory?

If so there will probably be a conflict between it and AVG which also has an antivirus component running resident in memory.

Regards

paws
 

 

 

Ya it has it's own malware thing, but I don't use avg nor Iobit System care for virus scans. Only Malware bytes or spybot when I had it. Plus when I had avg only it never seemed to detect anything.
 

Yes I understand but if you have two anti virus applications running resident in memory at the same time there will likely be conflicts between them.

 

AVG is by far the better of the two applications so I would be inclined to uninstall the other and see if this helps

Regards

paws

Well It actually isnt a real time scanner, it is a on demand one.

 

I never run it, I only use the other parts of it like the defrag, the monitor, the smart ram etc.

Ok , if your sure you dont have two anti virus applications running resident in memory then we'll move on.

are you connecting to your router via Ethernet cable or wirelessly? 

Regards

paws

Well I kinda figured it out i think its one of 2 things.

 

1- The weather, the snow melted and its not bad out really. But it doesn't make sense since it was good last year.

2- My brother and Mother are out of the house, and with them are 2 phones, and a kindle.

 

So it may be the weather or devices hooked up to the internet, cuz right now Im not experiencing any bad ping

that sounds like good news.

If the snow and wet has got into external connections that bring the Internet to your property then this can cause all sorts of problems. Once they dry out then performance may well improve.

 

Your bandwidth is being shared by all users of your network so if for example your  brother is downloading and soo is your Mother then your sppeed will take a significant hit.

Regards

paws

that sounds like good news.

If the snow and wet has got into external connections that bring the Internet to your property then this can cause all sorts of problems. Once they dry out then performance may well improve.

 

Your bandwidth is being shared by all users of your network so if for example your  brother is downloading and soo is your Mother then your sppeed will take a significant hit.

Regards

paws

 

Ya this use to happen on my xbox at my old place.

 

Neither of them really download things, only constant texts and little web browsing and stuff. So I doubt it is really that.

Things seem to be getting a lot better, but today it happened again, and its stayed for about a half a hour now. My brothers gone along with a phone and kindle, and a lap top, and my mom has been out of the house alot, so idk whats causing it. The weather isnt bad either

Hi

little web browsing and stuff

 

 

Every web page visited involves downloading each image and each piece of text….

 

please supply answer to post 8

 

Have you ever installed any P2P file sharing applications, (utorrent or similar etc)?

 

Regards

paws

Hi, Ok thats good to hear,

The fact that you are using wireless to connect may be significant as a wireless signal can be attenuated by physical objects that interfere with the signal strength and quality (walls, metalic objects, machinery floors, ceilings etc and the distance between your wireless access point and your computer….. It can also be affected by other devices operating on similar frequencies. ( Microwave devices ovens etc, DECT phones, Baby alarms, and by folks living fairly close or neighbours, who may be operating their wireless networks on the same or adjacent channels.

 

To see if this is the case you need to perform a series of tests using first an Ethernet connection ( not wireless) and immediately the same test using wireless, for staistical reasons you will need to do this a number of times in as short a time frame as possible.

 

Post back the results so we can compare them.

Regardfs

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI