For those of you who may not subscribe to MS Security Alerts….
Download urgent security update for Internet Explorer
Today Microsoft released an urgent security update for Windows Internet Explorer. Because the flaw may expose computers to remote code execution, the severity rating for this security update is critical.
From the moment we learned of the issue, Microsoft has been working around the clock to respond to this situation and provide a security update that helps protect our customers.
If you have turned on Automatic Updates, your computer will install the security update automatically. If you don't use Automatic Updates, go to http://update.microsoft.com. This update might cause your computer to restart.
For more information on this update, see the bulletin summary. For more information on how to protect your PC, visit the Microsoft Security At Home site.
There's an update out for FireFox as well.
Don't know if it is coincidence, but does seems
"funny" that it appears right now, when MS is
closing a priority security hole in IE. Same day
and all
Regards Abydos
SeaMonkey also released an update yesterday … pure coincidence
The Mozilla family of browsers doesn't have the patch concept so every fix requires a new release which can be somewhat painful as you can lose some of your extension on each new install or upgrade.
well, since I started this notification, — which is legitimate from Microsoft —
There have since been fraudulent email notifications to people which may direct the reader to download material that is infected.
Only use download directly from MS Update locations.
Here's what MS has to say:
Recognize and avoid fraudulent e-mail to Microsoft customers:
=============================================================
If you receive an e-mail message that claims to be distributing
a Microsoft security update, it is a hoax that may contain
malware or pointers to malicious Web sites. Microsoft does
not distribute security updates via e-mail.
=============================================================
Keep yourself safe out there, it's a nasty internet world we live in.
Best Regards,
Doug
Does this flaw affect Windows only if you open and use Internet Explorer for browsing, or is merely having IE installed on the system sufficient to be vulnerable?
I use Opera as my primary browser, so I wonder if Opera is now unsafe too.
Anyway, I updated IE using the Microsoft update function built into Windows, just to be on the safe side.
Does this flaw affect Windows only if you open and use Internet Explorer for browsing, or is merely having IE installed on the system sufficient to be vulnerable?
I use Opera as my primary browser, so I wonder if Opera is now unsafe too.
Anyway, I updated IE using the Microsoft update function built into Windows, just to be on the safe side.
Hi dragontooth
and
It requires active browsing, to my knowledge. But regardless if you use Opera, Chrome or another
alternative browser, its always a good idea to get updates. Also, MS updates, requires IE browser in
one form or another, not to mention that some pages are coded for IE only (still). No matter what
browsers you have installed, you should strive to have the latest updates for them, this actually applies
to all your software applications. Most malware have a easy time infecting unpatched systems / applications,
putting your Anti-virus to the test, which isn't desirable.
Does this flaw affect Windows only if you open and use Internet Explorer for browsing, or is merely having IE installed on the system sufficient to be vulnerable?
I use Opera as my primary browser, so I wonder if Opera is now unsafe too.
Anyway, I updated IE using the Microsoft update function built into Windows, just to be on the safe side.
dragontooth,
If you have IE browser installed you need to update as you have stated you have done. Technically your Internet Explorer is no longer vulnerable.
I also run Opera as of today, so as long as you keep it updated the same applies, you are as safe as you can be.