Ok, so I bought a Toshiba X205 has intel core 2 T7100, NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT w/ 256Mb VRAM, running Vista Home Premium brand new about a year ago. Before the crash everything was perfect. About the crash: I lost batt power (I thought it was plugged in, however the plug came undone) during a windows update–the one that says "DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER!" Did you realize that they actually mean that? The system crashed, and totally lost one HDD. I finally got it up and running again on just one HDD (the one that was set up for back up purposes–the "main" HDD is shot–well, that's another story–it's "working fine" in systems console, but explorer can not find it, but bios can–go figure that one out!), and thought everything was good. Before the crash I played some videos off of the Internet. I really haven't been on the web since the crash. Well, I discovered a neat sight and wanted to try it from my place. I went there and everything seemed fine. The video came up, everything looked good, but it was as if the speakers were muted. They aren't. I went to tools, internet options, advanced, and scrolled down through there looking for anything helpful. I found something that said something like, play audio from inside of web pages, or something like that, and it was already checked. I went to tools, Manage add-ons, enable or disable, and everything there is enabled (I got that "trick from reading someone else's similar problem and they were told to enable java something or other–it's already enabled). I tried looking at my system and drivers, everything seems good there. I "tested" it from somewhere in that area, don't remember exactly where I was, and got a really nice and loud tune out of it, went back and re-opened the web page and got the same "muted" results. The site–if it helps– is ebaumsworld. Any ideas? My magic is not so powerful and has ran out.
thanks in advance,
Twidget
serving in Iraq, can't wait go go home!
UPDATE: Just thought of something. I haven't tried to play any DVD's since the crash either. I just pulled one and it refuses to play the audio too. I don't know if these are related or separte issues, but if they're related, maybe that will assist someone in narrowing this down? thanks again,
twidget
Yeah, that sort of won't work. The System restore disk refused to work on the crash. I took it to our IT guys and they had to redo the partitions and all. I don't even know if I had sound when I got it back from them. I don't do that much with sound, usually, so the earliest restore point that I have takes it back to a date in time that is so much like right now that I see (and hear) no difference. So, does this mean that my 'puter is officially "dumb"? (LOL)
twidget
Hello again,
As you have the convenience of an IT technician on base, and added to the fact he has already worked on your computer, I strongly advise you to continue with this same person to recover your sound. There are literally so many things that could be affecting the error, with a hands on approach on base I think you will be more satisfied with the result.
I am more than willing to try whatever I can to resolve your problem, and we here at WTT try very hard to satisfy our Members, but in this instance I think you will get the satisfaction you deserve by consulting with your base technician.
With best regards, and a very Happy Festive season to you and all your mates.
I'll see if I can get him to look at it again. He's not really suppossed to have a computer in the shop that isn't on the Military's inventory list though. I had to beg last time, so if he won't look at it again?
thanks,
rick
Lets see now, for your problem to be solved we must remove the updates that got installed incorrectly!
First, you should go to microsoft.com search for an app called update-manager this will help you find out what are last updates you installed!
Or go to autopatcher.com it usually handles updates even better than microsoft (( you won't have to go through all the validation processes))
When you find the updates and uninstall them!
While your in the autopatcher site download the SP1 version of vista, it has loads of repairs concerning the original vista system!!!
Personally, no matter how cool vista looks, from the inside it's as crappy as sour milk!! XP is way better!! RESPECT!!
Hope this works for you
Since the crash I've had a lot of problems with windows udates, didn't think that was related. You may have hit the nail here…It may be a week or so before I can try this, but I'll keep you posted when I do…..thank you all for your helps.
GOT IT! GOT IT! See if I can remember what I did…so if anyone else has this problem:
Decided to give it one more try before doing something to Windows since I've had enough problems with that so far.
I hit control panel.
Hardware and sound.
I hit sound
I changed it from "HDMI to Speakers".
Changed to default and hit apply
Right clicked on speakers.
Selected Properties
Selected the "Enhancement" tab.
Here I noticed something very troubling: Enhancement properties said, "diabled", and the "Settings" tab was ghosted out.
I then selected some enhancement from above that box and hit apply, and suddenly my "big mac" song was filling the air!
Also, I'm getting the Windows noises as I move about, SO, I think my problems are forever gone. I hope this might prove helpful to someone else in the future.
Thanks all…next up–the dead HDD! (but later)
Excellent, thank you for letting us know of your success.
It is very beneficial to the forum, and for others to read and who may be have the same problems.
Good luck over there, with best regards,
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI