Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

LINUX

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jessejames713

jessejames713

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

How would I swap to linux minus a few apps like office and such?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

How would I swap to linux minus a few apps like office and such?

Hi :)

Not sure what you mean :unsure:

Could you be a little more specific?

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#3 Raktor

Raktor

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

Depends what variant of linux you're looking at trying - but the ultimate question is always Why?

What does Windows not do that you believe linux can replace?
Posted Image
Graduate from the WTT Malware Classroom
If you feel I have helped you, please consider a donation. Posted Image
Topics will be closed after three days if there is no response.
Please do not PM me for malware removal assistance.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

I installed the latest Ubuntu version of Linux on one of my computers that was already running XP Pro+SP3. It did a beautiful job carving out the necessary space on one of the hard drives and setting up a dual boot scenario so I can boot XP or Ubuntu. This is a great way to learn to use Linux while still having your trusty XP available when needed.

I still prefer XP but the Ubuntu flavor of Linux is not bad.

Linux will no longer install on older, slower, low memory system, at least not the flavors I've tried. I was thinking of installing it on some old computers we got donated but that turned out not to work. I tried Ubuntu and Knopix and one other whose name I forget at the moment and they all wanted a minimum of 256MB of ram.

Puppy Linux might install on these system, have not tried it (yet).

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

Can I just reinforce Rich's comments. Ubuntu in its latest distro is a very powerful and well thought through OS Whereas in the past Linux used to be regarded (by some) as the preserve of the "experienced" computer/owner/operator, a lot of folks now feel that the Ubunto distro (among others) has been refined and simplified to the extent that a lot of folks are taking a serious look at it. Try it and see what you think DSL has a tiny "footprint" and I even have another version that can be run from a floppy disc, with no hard drive involvement and with internet access...... but I don't try to use it everyday! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate