This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

XP will not Hibernate / Windows Update wrong

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, Yesterday my computer was attacked by a fake Windows Office virus and looks like it may have installed a fake Windows Update. I am unable to hibernate my computer. When I hibernate, the computer immediately turns back on. As for the Windows Update, I have the shield logo in my start up task bar and it's red saying I have auto updates turned off, even though I have them set to "auto" in my real Windows Update controls. Suggestions? Please help. Thanks!
Now I'm getting a new window opening up in Firefox and then a pop up saying there is spyware on my computer (oh really?). Also, I've noticed that my volume controls cause video to stop playing whenever I raise or lower the sound. ESET let me down again and hasn't caught any of this. Total waste of $70. I still have the Windows Update red shield in my toolbar, though I believe it to be fake, and I still cannot hibernate without the computer turning itself back on either immediately or within a few minutes. Wanted to give an update as I patiently await help. Thank you. :) Edit: Now I'm getting a new window opening in Firefox of some random news site with a middle east video playing.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI