This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problem with Windows Installer

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I was directed over to this section. I started a topic here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…114103&st=0
Thankfully all was clean with all the help from Catbyte, but I'm trying to resolve a issue I'm still having. It was requested that I remove a Java 3 download, but when I tried to unistall, I got a error message " Error 1719. Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact support personel"
I tried running as administrator and checked to make sure that windows installer was not disabled. It was checked "manual". I'm stll having my issue from the above thread and need to unistall the Java update 3 to see if it will correct the problem. Thank you in advance.
Hello BigEd,

There are two possible issues that can prompt an error. Firstly, and most likely, there is something wrong with the Windows Installer service itself. Secondly, the installation files could be damaged or corrupt.

To fix the first problem, please click on the link below and follow the instructions for both Method 1 and Method 2:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

The second issue is going to be a bit problematic. You have the most recent update installed, so there shouldn't be an issue really. All Java updates are self contained, which means you don't need any of the previous updates to support the most recent ones. But, there is the possibility that they'll cause stability issues, something which I presume CatByte picked up on.

Trying to uninstall Jave 6 Update 3 manually is going to be tricky, so try the steps above first. If it doesn't work, I'll start hunting for a possible fix or a specific workaround for Update 3.

Cheers,
Nahumi
Hello Nahumi, I tried both options and did not have much luck with it. I'll wait to here back from you. Thank you for your efforts
Hi , I tried to download from the list which is recomended for vista, but it kept telling me it is not compatable with my machine. I have Vista service pack 2. Looks like they were all for service pack 1 and XP users.
I've Tried lots of different ways to remove the Java update, but have mostly failed. The only thing I have found that might work is by holding down the windows key and f and pulling up the programs search. I searched for Java and alot of files come up. The only problem is knowing which to delete :wacko:
Just deleting Java files randomly is probably not a good idea.

There are a couple of things we can try. I've been looking for any instructions on specifically uninstalling Java manually, but it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

So in the mean time, try the following:

First, lets try disabling UAC and running Windows in "Safe Mode". Follow the links below to disable UAC (User Account Control), and then to start Windows in Safe Mode :

UAC - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…ntrol-on-or-off

Safe Mode - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…er-in-safe-mode

When you start in Safe Mode, try uninstalling Java Update 3 again.

The second thing we can try to do is remove all traces of Java. Instead of uninstalling Update 3, try uninstalling the most recent one first, and then try the older one.

The third thing we can try is to use some third-party software called JavaRa. I've only just come across it, so I want to test it myself first and check with the other tech guys to see what they think. Hopefully the first two steps work, but we'll see.
Hi Nahumi, Well I tried both methods and was unsuccessful at both. I reinstalled Java's latest update from their site in hopes it would help , but no such luck. I will wait to see your outcome on the uninstall program. Thanks again for your efforts
Yes, I was able to uninstall the latest version but not version 6 update 3. I will be away from this computer until Tues. 8/31. I will check back then . Thank you
Okay, no problem. I have been alerted to a fix by appleoddity, one of the main tech guys on the forum, that should work. Essentially it deletes any registry keys related to Java by using a batch file, which is a simple set of automated instructions. To coincide with this, I'm finding out where Java keeps all it's supporting files. It can get a bit tricky, so I'll write a second batch file to automate the process. I'll post back with the full set of instructions shortly.
Okay, here we go :

1. Uninstall the latest update of Java through Vista's "Add/Remove Programs" window.

2. Restart your PC.

3. Download the batch file named "fixjava.zip" from the appledoddity's first post in the following topic :

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…104537&st=0

4. Download this batch file :
📎removejava.zip

5. Unzip both onto your desktop, or somewhere that you can easily get to.

6. Run fixjava.bat first. Warning! This will delete all Java registry keys. You will not be able to recover them.

7. Run removejava.bat second. Warning! This will delete the Java folders throughout your machine. You will not be able to recover them.

8. Restart your PC.

9. Install the latest Java update.


To explain in a bit more detail what the steps above do. A batch file is simply a set up of instructions, which in this case deletes Java's registry keys. Your registry is essentially a database which contains most, if not all, the core preferences to Windows features and any third party applications. The second batch file will delete all the Java folders throughout your machine. Some of them are in "hidden" folders, so I thought it would just be easier and quicker to automate the whole process instead of talking you through changing folder options and deleting the folders yourself. I've you're particularly interested in how you could have deleted the folders yourself, I'm more than happy to go into more detail.

Let me know if it works.

Cheers,
Nahumi
Hello Nahumi, I followed the instructions but had no luck with getting rid of the Java version 6 update 3. It's still listed in my list of programs and still won't uninstall with the standard method. I'm also still having the same issue with a slow IE , delayed clicking and the windows host pop ups when uploading photos. I don't understand why the other username's side of this computer works fine. If it was Java causing the problem, would all users have the same problem? Thanks again for your efforts
Okay, well it could be the case that your user profile may be corrupted. The best way forward with that is to create a new profile and to copy all your documents across. To create a new profile :

1. Click on the Star Menu and go to Control Panel.

2. Click on User Accounts.

3. Click on "Manage another account".

4. Click "Create a new account" at the bottom.

5. Use a different username to your current account and make it an administrator account.

6. Click create account, logout and use the new one.

Copying all your files across should be fairly easy. You could copy all your documents manually by moving them onto a spare hard drive partition or a spare USB device. To avoid any issues with password protection etc. you'll need to do this from within the old user account.

The easiest way, however, is to simply delete the old account. Log onto your new account and redo steps 1 - 3. Choose the old account and click "delete". It will ask you what you want to do with the files, make sure you click "Keep Files". This will save all your documents onto a folder on your desktop.

Once you've done all that, have a look at the Programs list in Control Panel using your new account and try uninstalling again.

Let me know how it goes.
Hello Nahumi, Well that worked great! I moved everything over to a new username and all is well now. The old username must have been corrupted some how. One other thing is that Java update is still with me, but it does not seem to be causing any problems at the moment, so I think I'll leave well enough alone. I tried to remove it but got the same results with the windows installer having a issue. Many thanks for all your time and help!! :thumbup: BigEd

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI