This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Update Admin Account, Windows 7

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi.

Lenovo G570 (4334-9MU) Laptop, Windows 7
Core i3 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM

I bought this laptop from Office Depot, it was a floor model. I feel like a dope for not getting the install disk…

The problem is that there are still remnants of the Office Depot user accounts and I want to start fresh. When I use the control panel to access the [User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Manage Accounts] feature it shows 2 accounts; Brad (Administrator) and Guest (Guest Account is off). However, when I navigate to [C:Users] I see 3 accounts; Kiosk (padlock icon), OD 2777 (padlock icon), and Public. I'm fairly certain that the Brad (Admin) account and the OD 2777 padlocked account are the same thing, not sure why it is different in the Control Panel. When I boot the computer there is only one option… Brad. A password is not required.

I want to get rid of the kiosk account
I want to get rid of OD2777 in favor of Brad

The problem occurred after trying to install LibreOffice. I had installed 3.6 a couple weeks ago but it became corrupt so I tried 3.61 today only to be told I didn't have sufficient rights.

Thanks, let me know what other information I can provide.

Regards,
Brad
i don't think it comes with an install disc, i think there's a recovery partition on the hard drive accessed by a special key on the laptop, you need to make your own recovery/install/backup dvd's from within windows just in case of a failed hard drive, and should be one of the first things you do after you've solved your problem. if you have nothing on it that you can't easily replace, i believe the special key has a looped arrow on it that when tapped during start up of the laptop will take you to the factory restore options, so you can get rid of everything on it including the accounts you don't want and restore it to an as new and unused condition. if it came with a manual then i'd recommend you read through it before doing anything if not, then visit lenova's site (won't post a link because mine would just take you to the uk site.) and download the correct manual for your laptop, then read up on how to restore to factory settings and how to create install/backup dvd's after you've setup up the operating system for the first time. sorry i can't give you a less drastic answer than completely re-installing the os, it can be done but i am not familiar enough with the operating system to give you details on how to go about it, and seeing how it's new i thought there wouldn't be a lot on it yet that you couldn't easily put back. you are more than welcome to wait and see if someone replies with the correct steps, so you don't need to do a complete factory restore, but please do get hold of a manual for the laptop and read up on how to create those backup/restore dvd's just in case you need them if your hard drive fails in the future. :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI