This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can I get Windows XP to stop being nagware?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have just recently started getting Windows Genuine Advantage notifications constantly. Whether they're legitimate or not (and I have reason to think they might not be), this is highly annoying in its own right and has coincided with a spate of strange browser errors, difficulties updating other, non-Microsoft applications, and so on. Eventually I plan on getting a store-bought and indisputably legitimate install of either XP (some stores in my area still have them) or Vista which should put paid to this nonsense for good, but in the meantime, is there any way I can get rid of this carp**? It seems Microsoft has gotten too clever for its own good and the various methods I've seen published elsewhere no longer work.
Hi JeffH,

Eventually I plan on getting a store-bought and indisputably legitimate install of either XP (some stores in my area still have them) or Vista which should put paid to this nonsense for good, but in the meantime, is there any way I can get rid of this carp**? It seems Microsoft has gotten too clever for its own good and the various methods I've seen published elsewhere no longer work.

I suggest you validate your Windows OS here

Best regards,

Whether they're legitimate or not (and I have reason to think they might not be)

Ummm, there should be no doubt. You either have a legal copy or you don't. If you do, you should know it as the computer would come with a disk, or proof of license from the PC maker. If you don't have the license or disk, then you have no proof. To verify if your copy is genuine, see here.

It seems Microsoft has gotten too clever for its own good

Or some, like me, would say it is about time they clamped down on software thieves for it is all too often it is those machines that threaten the rest us as they are not patched or updated regularly for fear of being caught. They are often used in botnets for DDoS attacks and spam schemes. Since the honor system didn't work, and the United Nations did nothing to stop rampant counterfeiting, and lawmakers failed to fund law enforcement to fight software thieves, Microsoft had to take action on their own, and I applaud them for it.

That said, there have been too many false positives - where Windows Genuine Advantage incorrectly tags a legitimate copy as not. In those cases, without proof, you may be out of luck.

Of course, there are free and very able alternative operating systems too, so there really is no excuse for using illegal software.
Let me just clarify why there's doubt. I got the disc from a former workplace of mine, and while legit, it might be that it was a copy only licensed for use in that sort of environment, and not for home use. In fact, I seem to recall being told at the time that using it at home was legally grey even with the Microsoft logo on it. How WGA would tell the difference is not clear to me, but it wouldn't be the cleverest behaviour I've seen from it lately.

(I built this PC myself, so obviously it didn't come with any OS disc.)
When Microsoft sells a corprate key code to a business, there are limits to how many copys can be activated. When a key code is leaked, that is stolen from the company, more copys are activated and windows looks for the key where it does not belong. They have detected your key code as a stolen corporate key code. I am guessing that automatic updates is turned off? If you get any updates from Microsoft one of them will shut your computer down and you will have to buy a legal key code. There could be criminal charges. Buy an OEM copy of Windows from newegg or tigerdirect and have a legal version of Windows.

When Microsoft sells a corprate key code to a business, there are limits to how many copys can be activated.
When a key code is leaked, that is stolen from the company, more copys are activated and windows looks for the key where it does not belong.
They have detected your key code as a stolen corporate key code.
I am guessing that automatic updates is turned off?
If you get any updates from Microsoft one of them will shut your computer down and you will have to buy a legal key code.
There could be criminal charges.
Buy an OEM copy of Windows from newegg or tigerdirect and have a legal version of Windows.

Hmm, then perhaps I was mistaken about why my machine failed. I do have Windows Update turned on, albeit with manual rather than automatica installs (and this based on previous advice from here), and nothing worse has happened than nag screens and minor problems with other applications, and I'm not even 100% sure the latter are related.

Still, the path of least resistance definitely seems to be getting a copy of unambiguous legality. (I've been thinking of going to Vista anyway, and even if I wanted to, there's really no practical way to do that other than legally as far as I can tell.)

Please purchase a legal FULL version. you will not be able to upgrade your stolen copy.

:(
On my budget that's pretty bad news, but better that I know. Thanks for mentioning that, even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I would ideally like to go XP Pro –> Vista Home Premium. Just out of curiosity, does that mean I would have had to get a full version even without the WGA issues?

On my budget that's pretty bad news, but better that I know.

But there are plenty of free and legal alternatives to Windows and Office, with plenty of support forums to help with questions. This is why there is no excuse to use stolen software.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI