Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Genuine Windows Notification

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Stanley M

Stanley M

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

Hi everyone,

Two days ago I started receiving notifications that I was not running Genuine Windows. However, I definitely have a legal version of Windows (I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with a 64-bit operating system).

First, I just closed the notification. After another notification or two, I followed up by clicking on the message that said something like "Resolve Problem Online." I hope that I did not make things even worse by installing and running a file called WindowsActivationUpdate.exe.

At first I thought that it solved the problem, but the notifications keep coming.

I have completely scanned my system with the paid version of Spybot. No serious problems were found, but I fixed the few issues that did come up.

I am still getting the notifications.

Could somebody please help.

Thank you.

Stanley

http://forums.spybot...2637#post462637

Edited by tashi, 06 March 2015 - 09:13 PM.
Added link to original topic at Spybot forums. :-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:51 AM

Hi Stanley

Sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced with the "genuine Windows notification"

I wanted to reply to your topic quickly but I have not yet had time to review  completely your logs (over in Safernetworking, for clues as to what may have been going on.

However I did take a quick glance before I left for work this morning and it seems that maybe the repair shop that installed your new hard drive and then installed windows, may have used an incorrect product activation (serial key) that does not match with the actual installation version of Windows that they installed.

I will examine your topic closely tonight,( to see if anything else springs out at me) but in the meantime your first port of call should be to contact the repair shop, tell them you are getting a message about "non genuine" and ask them to fix it. They should do this at no charge if the installation is recent, so take a moment or two to look out the receipt /invoice for the repair shop's work as this may be needed unless they fix it without any questions.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Stanley M

Stanley M

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hi paws,

Thank you for your reply.

I called the computer-repair store, and they told me to bring the computer in after the weekend and they will look at it.

I hope they can resolve the issue.  Or perhaps you can come up with something else.

Thanks again.  Please post if you have a new idea.

Stanley

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hi Stanley ,

It was good to hear that the repair shop will take a look at it.

There are a number of things that can cause these sort of error messages, but a mismatch between the reinstall disc/image and the product serial key used for the installation of Windows is a good starting point that needs checking out. 

The repair shop should be able to check this  fairly quickly and hopefully they will be able to return the computer to you without the error message coming up and with a Windows installation that updates correctly via Win Updates.

Being able to update correctly via Windows Updates is a sign of good health of your computer's system and this is one of the first things that the shop should check...it would be a good idea for you to run Windows update a few times when the computer  is returned to you, just so you can be reassured that all is well. 

Let us know how you get on and if Win updates Ok once you get it back from the shop.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Stanley M

Stanley M

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

Hi paws,

Now, I have been able to run Windows Updates ever since I got the new hard drive installed back in December 2014.

I have not had to run Windows Updates over the last several days, only because nothing has shown up.  I will check on other computers to see if Windows Updates are available, and hopefully I will be able to run it on the troubled computer.  I will see about all of this before I bring the computer back to the repair shop.

I have a question about the What the Tech forums.  I keep signing out, but every time I return to the forums I am signed back in automatically.  How come?

Thank you.

Stanley

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

Hi Stanley, What I was suggesting is to run the Win updates a few times, once you get the machine back from the shop

There are other steps we can take, but getting the shop to look at it is the first priority.

I'm not quite sure why your machine is logging you back in to WTT once you have signed out..... unless that is you have left the tick/checkmark in the sign" in window" that says "remember me" or words to that effect..
Regards
paws

#7 Stanley M

Stanley M

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hi paws,

Right.  I understand that you were saying that I should see how the computer responds to Windows Updates once I get it back from the shop.

But that made me think of something:  The fact that I have been able to run Windows Updates ever since I got the new hard drive back in December 2014 is a good sign, isn't it?  If my version of Windows were not genuine, then I never would have been able to run Windows Updates.  Isn't that correct?

Stanley

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:53 AM

Hi Stanley, Yes, you are right, it is a good sign.

However when diagnosing a computer fault at long distance (I'm around 4000 miles away from you) it's often a question of assessing possibilities and likelihoods, rather than arriving immediately at a sure fire diagnosis.

There can be a number of causes of this particular problem, so we tend to concentrate firstly on the most likely, if we can eliminate that then we move on to the next and so on.

Don't worry over much on the "genuine or none genuine" aspect  just at the moment.... we can carry out some scans and tests once you get the machine back from the shop, should that become necessary or desirable.

As your repair shop is a reputable one, it makes sense for them to take a look at it first so that if there is a mismatch between the disc/image used for installing Windows on your hard drive and the product serial code used, (it does happen from time to time) then they can fix it for you without further ado.

Hope all this makes some sort of sense!

Regards

paws

#9 Stanley M

Stanley M

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hi paws,

I want to thank you for your assistance with all of this.

I plan to go to the computer shop tomorrow and show my computer to the manager.

I have this question, however:

If there is a mismatch between the disc/image used for installing Windows on my hard drive and the product serial code used, why did that suddenly show up after almost three months of the hard drive's being in service?  Shouldn't that have shown up right away?

Stanley

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi Stanley,

One might have thought so...however its not unknown for a recent Microsoft Update once installed to commence a check for a genuine version of Windows. Sometimes a genuine version fails this check.... strange but true.

There are other reasons why a genuine version of Windows may show up the error message you have been getting, but it makes sense to ask your repair shop to check things for you.

It may be that they will be able to immediately resolve the issue for you. They will certainly be able to check for a mismatch....however if the match is Ok then at least we will be able to focus our next steps on areas that are most likely to result in a satisfactory outcome. 

Regards

paws

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Stanley M

Stanley M

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

Hi paws,

I brought my computer back to the computer-repair shop, and the technician went through it.  He informed me that he found the problem -- a bad registry file is what he told me, I think.  He told me that the issue was solved.  He didn't charge me any money.

I got the computer back home, and it is doing the very same thing -- once every several hours I get a notice that I do not have Genuine Windows.

So, I just close the notice, and everything seems to be working just fine with the computer otherwise.  I can run and install Windows Updates, and in every respect that I can see, the computer is fine.

Unless you or someone else can suggest something, I guess that I should just let the matter go.  I don't know what else to do.

Stanley

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hi Stanley,
Ok all understood, thanks for the feedback

The fact that your machine updates correctly (as it has always done in the past ) is a good omen.

We can do a little more work if you wish to see if the problem can be fully resolved.

The first steps are to carry out a basic check on your hard drive by running chkdsk with the r switch and the second is to run the Windows protected System File Checker so that any Windows Protected System Files that may be damaged, missing or in the wrong location can be put  to rights if possible.

here's the instructions for running chkdsk /r

http://support.micro...n-gb/kb/2641432

(under section 8 ensuring that there is a tick/checkmark in both boxes is the same as using the r switch)

When this has been done your computer should restart itself and go to your desktop.(please note that performing the chkdsk can take a few hours to complete and you will not be able to use your computer, nor should you attempt to, until it has finished. Also do not switch off or allow the power to be interrupted during the procedure...

We now need to run the SFC so take a look here at the instructions:
http://support.micro...kb/929833/en-gb

You should run the command sfc /scannow from a command prompt with elevated privileges
Click start
type in the search box immediately above Start
cmd
RIGHT click on the cmd entry that will appear above and click on Run as Administrator

When sfc has finished then close down your computer (a full shutdown not a sleep/hibernate) and then restart it, wait for 5 minutes after the desktop appears and then test again to see if the warning appears.

Let us know how you get on.

The above two procedures will generate internal log files in your computer but for the time being we do not need to see them.

Regards

paws

#13 Stanley M

Stanley M

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

Hi paws,

Thank you once again for your informative reply.

Everything you told me is most interesting, and I have bookmarked the instructions.

My concern is that so many things could go wrong doing these diagonostics -- or in any event, running the diagnostics could become so complicated -- that I am really reluctant to try them.

For the time being, my computer seems to be operating completely normally except for the Genuine Windows Notification.  Until something worse happens with it, I think that I am going to let the matter ride.

Not to misunderstand, however.  I wish that I were not getting the message, but I can live with it.

Stanley

#14 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Hi Stanley, Yes I understand, Trouble shooting this sort of issue can involve a bit of work, and its impossible to say what may eventually turn up.

So if you are happy to live with then that's fine.

if you want to continue at some later date with troubleshooting then just post back in the topic ... it will be left open so you can do that easily.

All best

paws

#15 Stanley M

Stanley M

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

Hi paws,

Good.  I am going to let it ride for the time being.

You have been very kind to have given me this much advice.

Stanley