Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Download Accelerator/manager

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lichking21st

lichking21st

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Does anyone know what is the best download accelerator/manager thats free? I have been using flashget and now i am using DAP(download Accelerator Plus) and I am wondering if there are any other that are better/faster? If not which ones better out of these two?
No Comment is a comment...

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Conspire

Conspire

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

You could give Orbit Downloader a try. :)
Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE
The help you receive here is always free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 lichking21st

lichking21st

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:05 AM

orbit downloader wasn't very good for me. It only can download up to 300kbs and DAP and Flashget do around 500kbs. But thanks anyway!

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it

#4 Conspire

Conspire

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:58 AM

Flashget wasn't very good to me too, it kept crashing all the time for no apparent reason and I switched to Orbit, then everything went fine.
Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE
The help you receive here is always free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:53 AM

lichking21st and Conspire,

This is simply a question.

Unless the user is connected via dial-up, in what way do you find these Download Accelerators to be of any advantage?

Postscript note: I haven't followed DAP for quite some time.
But aside from the obvious and necessary mechanisms of online prefetching, identifying the download user, and coordinating packet transfer, some prior versions may have been known to include some objectionable and even spyware characteristics.

Best Regards,
Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 lichking21st

lichking21st

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

lichking21st and Conspire,

This is simply a question.

Unless the user is connected via dial-up, in what way do you find these Download Accelerators to be of any advantage?

Postscript note: I haven't followed DAP for quite some time.
But aside from the obvious and necessary mechanisms of online prefetching, identifying the download user, and coordinating packet transfer, some prior versions may have been known to include some objectionable and even spyware characteristics.

Best Regards,
Doug

my speed is unlimited (normally 300-500 kbs for downloads)
Flashget was very good because it can split files into 10 parts, it has really good progress screen and It has a site explorer which can download .swfs. there are other things that i havent tried yet :blush: .
DAP free, can show regular and accelerated options unlike flashget (it automatically pops up when you try to download something). It has a great interface screen and everything is sorted. It contains a file shredder, webroot security scanner, and zip previewer.

Thats it! :yeah:

Edited by lichking21st, 12 November 2008 - 11:51 PM.